List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1370027

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityCharwelton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360544

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHARWELTON SP55NW 4/54 Church of Holy Trinity 18/01/68 GV I Church. C14 and C15, chancel rebuilt C17 and C18; church restored, and chancel again rebuilt and extended one bay east 1901-1904, by G. Christopher Carter. Ironstone ashlar and coursed ironstone rubble, lead roofs. Chancel, north chancel chapel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. East end has 2-light Perpendicular window with relieving arch of red tiles and hood mould extended out over relief carvings of angels with symbol of the Holy Trinity in relief below window. Flanking buttresses, small niche just below apex of stone coped gable with kneelers; wooden cross at apex. Small leaded windows to eastermost bay either side, and two 2-light mullion windows to south side with round headed tile relieving arches. Fine ornamental lead guttering, rainwater pipes and heads dated 1904. North chancel chapel, continuous with north aisle, has 4-light Perpendicular east window and north-east window of 2 lights, both with hood moulds. Aisle window of 3 lights to east of chamfered pointed arch north door, single light to west of door, all with hood moulds. South aisle has east and south-east 3-light Perpendicular windows with square heads and hood moulds and 3-light west window. 2-storey gabled south porch has double-chamfered door and 1-light window above both with hood moulds, small rectangular leaded windows east and west, and staircase projection to west side corbelled out at first floor level. Porch has chamfered stone rib vault within. Double-chamfered south door with unusual double-leaf door with wickets for ventilation; similar to north door. Nave has clerestory of 4 Perpendicular windows north and south of 2 lights with straight heads and hood moulds. Aisles, porch and clerestory have plain parapets with gargoyles to clerestory. Battlemented 3-stage west tower with angle buttresses, Double-chamfered west door with hood mould and label stops, and 2-light Decorated windows above and to bell-chamber openings, all with hood moulds. Interior: chancel is panelled with commandments painted by Eric Gill, 1904, either side of altar reredos. Mid C18 baluster altar rail. Round-headed arch to north chancel chapel now vestry. Mid C18 communion table with marble top in vestry. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave has arcades of 3 bays. Decorated north arcade with tall piers without capitals, their moulding is continuous with those of arches. Lower south arcade with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. South aisle has single pointed arch piscina and part-glazed plank door with chamfered hinges to parvise stair right of door. Double-chamfer tower arch with hood mould and label stops. Octagonal limestone font on square stem, both carved with flowers, leaves and geometric emblems of the Trinity. Jacobean pulpit. Lectern of Spanish chestnut carved by Reverend A. Hemsted of Preston Capes,c.1900. Fine series of brasses, wall monuments and alabaster chest tomb with effigies to members of Andrews family, C15 and C16. Original perspective for chancel rebuilding by G.C. Carter hangs in tower showing unexecuted stone parapet. (Buildings of England: Northants, p.147; Parish records in Northants Record Office; C. Coleman: 'Charwelton Village and Church"; some notes, no date (guide).

Listing NGR: SP5447455523

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Coleman, C - Title: Charwelton Village and Church
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 147

National Grid Reference: SP 54474 55523

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 05:46:31.