List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1369519

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, HORSE FAIR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireCherwellDistrict AuthorityBanbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 244367

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BANBURY HORSE FAIR (East side) SP4540NW Church of St. Mary 6/73 09/04/52 GV I

Church. c.1790. By S.P. Cockerell. Tower and portico 1818-1822 by C.R. Cockerell. Internal alterations c.1858-59 for the Revd. William Wilson and c.l863-81 for the Revd. Henry Back. Second stage of alterations carried out by the architect Arthur Blomfield. Ironstone ashlar. Copper and lead roofs. Nave, chancel and west tower. Classical style. West portico of tower: semi-circular Doric portico with columns and half-dome surmounted by a tower of 3 stages and cupola. Portico has wide triglyph frieze. Ground floor of rusticated stone. 3 entrances; main entrance and 2 side entrances. All doorways have 8-panelled doors and cornices on consoles. 2 side windows with semi-circular heads. Central oculus. Nave: rusticated ground floor, ashlar above. 5 square headed windows to ground floor. First floor has 5 semi-circular headed windows with rusticated, keystoned surrounds. Moulded cornice. Chancel: pedimented central bay flanked by vestries which have oculi and panelled doors. Northern oculus blocked. Interior: original plan included 90' square nave with 12 Ionic columns supporting a shallow domed roof; galleries surrounded nave on 4 sides: small rectangular chancel; eastern gallery carried organ. Present arrangement is the result of alterations and remodelling by Blomfield. Chancel: apse formed within existing walls of chancel and surmounted by a half-dome, linked to the arch supporting the nave dome by a barrel vault. Nave as originally planned but with gallery on 3 sides only; the eastern gallery pulled down and the organ placed on the north side of the chancel. Side chapels to north and south; Lady chapel to north. Resurrection chapel to south in memory of those killed in 1939-1945 war. Vestries either side of chancel. Staircase with wreathed handrail, balcony and meeting room above. Side entrances in west end also contain staircases to upper floor. Chancel fittings by Blomfield include: low stone walls of chancel with patterns of inlaid marble surrounding choir; choir stalls; altar rails; chancel pavement (Godwin of Lugwardine); organ case (carved in 1874 by Rattee and Kett); pulpit (carved in 1885 by Rattee and Kett); square white font inlaid with marble (by Alfred Claridge); wrought-iron gates to the choir (1902 by Starkie Gardner). Nave fittings: oak pews as per original plan, probably cut down or renewed late C19. Stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne 1864-1881 to Blomfields design. Rich colour scheme designed by Blomfield and executed by Heaton, Butler and Bayne including imitation mosaic (Pevsner) in the chancel, depicting Christ in majesty, 1876. Redecoration in 1960 caused Blomfields unified colour scheme to be lost. Memorials: in marble to Ann Dolly, daughter of Paynton Piggott, d.1824 aged 21, situated in east wall of nave to left of chancel arch; marble memorial to Francis Piggott, d.1790 situated on east wall of nave to right of chancel arch; wall memorials in porch to right of main entrance; stone wall tablet to Iohn Knight and Ioane his wife (he died 22/11/1587, she died 26/12/1590); marble wall tablet to Margareta Knight; marble wall tablet to William Knight (d.20/9/1631). (Photographs in N.M.R.; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.X, pp.102-4; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, pp.435-9; Cooper, N. The Building and Furnishing of St. Mary's Church, Banbury, 1972, off-printed from Cake and Cock Horse; Proof of evidence submitted by Peter Howell, in the Consistory Court 26/9/84).

Listing NGR: SP4540840553

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cooper, N , The Building and Furnishing of St Marys Church Banbury, (1972)
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 435-439
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1972), 102 104

National Grid Reference: SP 45408 40551

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 05:51:42.