List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1369298

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityRotherfield Peppard

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 247166

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROTHERFIELD PEPPARD SU78SW 6/144 Church of All Saints - II* Church. Romanesque, restored 1874 by William Scott Champion, who added north aisle. C20 vestry and parish room. Flint with stone dressing; tower flint and stone in random chequer; slate roof to church; plain tile roof to tower. 4 bay nave with 3 bay north aisle, 2 bay chancel and west tower. Timber-frame porch of 1908 to left of centre with decorative barge-boards. Studded door. Three 2-light windows of reticulated tracery to nave. Plank studded door to chancel with single trefoil-topped lancet to left. C12 window to centre. 2-light plate-tracery window to right. Tower of 1908 rises from ridge to left; 3-light perpendicular-style window under label mould with dropped ends, to each side; pyramidal roof. 3-light window of reticulated tracery to right return. Interior: Romanesque font; round; with cable moulding. East window flanked by Romanesque arches. C13 pointed chancel arch on Romanesque shafts with carved capitals. Trefoil arched trusses to nave, wood barrel vault to chancel. (Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, p.737; All Saints Church Rotherfield Peppard, A Short History, 1982).

Listing NGR: SU7136881513

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: All Saints Church Rotherfield Peppard A Short History - Date: 1982
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 737

National Grid Reference: SU 71368 81513

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 03:05:42.