List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1369224

Location

MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityWoodeaton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 246760

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOODEATON SP51SW 1/239 Manor House 18/07/63 (Formerly listed as Woodeaton Manor Special School) GV II*

Manor house, now school. 1775 for John Weyland; porch, east wing and interiors c.1790 by Sir John Soane. Limestone ashlar; stone-slate roofs. Double-pile plan, extended. 3 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay front, with dentil cornice below cills of attic storey, has, in the centre bay, an arched entrance with door and fanlight between narrow sashes, all behind an Ionic tetrastyle Coade-stone portico, and has corresponding triplets of sashes at first and second floors; ground-floor sashes in second and fourth bays have arched heads. Single-storey kitchen wing to left. Shallow-pitched hipped roofs behind plain parapets. 7-bay rear has a basement storey but the top storey becomes a mansard roof; central bay is canted and has 3 full-length sashes with iron balconies at upper-ground floor. 4-window wing is divided as a 2-window 3-storey pavilion and a 2-storey linking range, both with sashes and arched recesses at upper-ground floor. Interior: Entrance hall has paired doorways with panelled mahogany doors, and doorcases with delicate entablatures; rams-head cornice; white marble fireplace with Ionic columns and inlaid vases in green veined marble. 3 principal rooms facing rear have similar doors and decoration, and have further fine fireplaces - drawing room: white marble with figurative central tablet, baskets of fruit, and musical instruments; bay-ended, library: festoons and brown marble inlay; dining room: grey marble inlay, ox heads, and vase on central tablet. Other rooms have C18 cornices and plainer fireplaces. Open-well stair has cantilevered oak treads and a wrought-iron balustrade. Portico is noted as signed "Coade London 1791". Soane's proposed balancing wing was never built. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.310; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.853-4).

Listing NGR: SP5338011986

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 853-4
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 310

National Grid Reference: SP 53380 11986

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 12:29:09.