List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1369068

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THORPE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityAston Upthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 247941

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASTON UPTHORPE THORPE STREET SU5586 (West side) Church of All Saints 7/57 14/06/63 II* GV

Church. C12, nave roof probably C14, early C17 north porch, chancel and vestry of c.1859 by P.C. Hardwick, bell-turret with spirelet probably also by P.C. Hardwick. Roughcast, probably on flint with stone dressings; flint with stone banding and dressings to chancel; old plain-tile roof; wood bell-tower with spirelet with lead covering. 4-bay nave with chancel. Open timber-framed porch with crown-post old plain-tile gabled roof. Romanesque doorway with C19 plank door. Lancet to left. Trefoil lancet to chancel. Triple lancet to end of chancel. Rear: red brick to Romanesque blocked doorway, triple trefoil lancet to right of nave. Vestry to right with paired lancet in 2-centred archway to cross-gable. 2-light Perpendicular window to west end. Interior: 4-bay arch-braced roof to nave. C19 arch-braced roof to chancel. C19 piscina to chancel. Carved heads above nave doorways. Some re-used bench-ends to pews. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.74; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.288-289).

Listing NGR: SU5528086143

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 74
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1923 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 288-289

National Grid Reference: SU 55280 86143

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 11:00:22.