List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1368878

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityAston Rowant

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249035

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASTON ROWANT CHURCH LANE SU7299 (East side) 18/21 Church of St. Peter and St. 18/07/63 Paul

GV II*

Church. C12 nave; C13 chancel; C14 tower and aisles; C15 clerestory; top stage of tower rebuilt c.1811 by Isaac Stone of Thame; mid C19 alterations; restoration of c.1884 by E.G. Bruton. Knapped flint with stone dressings, with areas of brick and stone; slate roof to nave; lead roof to north aisle; coated lead roofs to south aisle and chancel; tower roof not visible. 5-bay nave, 4-bay north aisle; 3-bay south aisle, 2-bay chancel and west tower, 2-centre arched doorway to left of south aisle with hood mould and C19 double-leaf plank doors. 2-light Y-tracery windows to aisle and chancel. 3-light Y-tracery windows to ends. 3-light reticulated tracery window to nave left. Parapet to aisle. 4 paired lancets to clerestory. Tower of 3 stages to left: lancet to second stage, 2-light Y-tracery louvred opening in third stage. Battlemented parapet with banded obelisk finials to corners. Rear: re-set Romanesque round-arched doorway to right of aisle with C19 plank door. 2-light geometrical tracery windows to aisle, except Romanesque lancet to right. 3-light rectilinear tracery window to nave right. Parapet to aisle. 4 paired lancets to clerestory. 3-light intersecting tracery window to right return of aisle; 3-light reticulated tracery window to left return of aisle. West front of tower: 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould and double-leaf plank door to centre. 3-light intersecting tracery window to second stage. 2-light Y-tracery louvred opening to third stage. Interior: Perpendicular roof to chancel; flat plastered roof to nave; lean-to roofs to aisle. Piscina to right of chancel; tomb recess to left with cusped arch supported on half-columns, and hood mould with carved end stops. 2-centre chancel arch with run-out chamfer. North and south arcades of 2-centre arches on octagonal columns. Rood screen doorway to left of chancel arch. Squint to right of chancel arch, with Perpendicular Tudor-arched recess above. Carved corbels between clerestory windows. 2-centred arch on cluster columns to tower. C13 Purbeck marble octagonal font on columns. North aisle; upper portion of rood screen stairs survive to right of east window. Medieval glass fragments to top lights of east window. 2 Decorated tomb recesses to north wall, each having 3 gabled canopies, enclosing quatrefoils, supported on brackets carved with rosettes. Monument above to Lady Cicill Hobbee, c.1618, of painted kneeling figure at prayer-desk, with surround. South aisle: piscina to south wall; good early C19 wall monuments; mid C17 brasses to floor. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.426-7; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, p.38-9).

Listing NGR: SU7269099016

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 426-427
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1964), 38-39

National Grid Reference: SU 72690 99016

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:42:45.