List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NORTH MORETON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1368823

Location

NORTH MORETON HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityNorth Moreton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Nov-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248731

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH MORETON CHURCH STREET SU5689 (South side) 13/118 North Moreton House 20/06/72 (Formerly listed as North Moreton House (Formerly Vicarage)) GV II House. Early C16, restored by G.E. Street c.1858. Red brick base; large timber-framing; brick infill; complex old plain-tile roof; various brick stacks. Complex plan. 2 storeys and attic; 3-window range. C19 plank door to centre with wrought iron hinges. Irregular fenestration, mostly of C19 casements and bay windows. Straight-flight C19 staircase with shaped wood balustrade. All rooms have C19 four-panel doors with ornamental wood surrounds. Dining room to left has deeply moulded spine beam and massive joists; C19 fireplace; C19 bay window with window seats. Kitchen to left rear: chamfered spine beam; C19 cast iron bread oven. Study and sitting room to right both have C19 fireplaces. C19 shutters to sitting room French windows with wrought-iron hinges. C16 stone fireplace with Tudor arch and moulded stone surround to first floor left. C19 arch-braced roofs to bedrooms to rear. Formerly Rectory Farm, then vicarage. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.III, 1923, p.492).

Listing NGR: SU5618689530

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 492

National Grid Reference: SU 56186 89530

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 09:50:32.