List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1368706

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityLetcombe Regis

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250241

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LETCOMBE REGIS SU3886 5/1 Church of St. Andrew 24/11/66

GV II*

Church. C12 lower stages of tower; C15 nave, chancel and upper stage of tower. C19 restoration. Stone uncoursed rubble to lower stages of tower; coursed squared stone; old plain-tile roof; roof of tower not visible. 4-bay nave, 3-bay chancel and west tower. C19 porch to centre of nave with part-glazed outer doors and plank inner door with C19 two-centre arched stone doorway. C19 two-light geometrical tracery windows to left and right of nave. Plank door to 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould to centre of chancel. Probably C15 three-light stone mullion windows with pointed lights and hood moulds to left and right of chancel. North side: render, probably on uncoursed stone rubble. 4-centre arched doorway with studded plank door to centre of nave, 2-light rectilinear tracery windows to left and right of nave. 2-light stone mullion windows with arch-topped lights to upper level of nave. 2-centre arched doorway with plank door to C19 vestry. Probably C15 three-light stone mullion window with arch-topped lights and hood-mould to left of chancel. C19 stone mullion window to right of vestry. East end: 3-light rectilinear tracery window with hood mould. Tower: 2-light plate tracery window to each face of middle stage. Upper stage has 2-light stone mullion louvred opening with hood mould to each face. Battlemented parapet with gargoyles. Interior: 3-bay arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel. 4-bay arch-braced collar truss roof to nave. C19 two-centred chancel arch. 2-centred tower arch. Round Romanesque stone font with scalloped band to top. (Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p167; VCH: Berkshire: Vol 4, 1924, pp225-6)

Listing NGR: SU3802586474

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1975 - Page References: 167
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1924 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 225-6

National Grid Reference: SU 38025 86474

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 06:22:46.