List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HENDRED HOUSE AND ST AMANDS CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1368665

Location

HENDRED HOUSE AND ST AMANDS CHAPEL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityEast Hendred

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250115

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST HENDRED HIGH STREET 5U4688 (East side) 20/77 Hendred House and St. Amand's 25/10/51 Chapel (Formerly listed as Hendred House and Chapel)

GV II*

Manor house. Probably early C15; C18 addition to right; C19 addition to left. Render, probably on stone rubble with timber-framing, to centre; render, probably on brick, to additions to left and right; old plain-tile complex roof; various brick stacks. Originally double-ended hall house. 2-storey, 4-bay centre having 2-storey cross-wings to left and right; single storey and attic cross-wing addition to right; 2 storeys and attic cross-wing addition to left. C20 five-panel door, with C20 wood surround of Doric pilasters and cornice to left of central range. 12-pane unhorned sashes with hood-moulds to ground floor of central range. 3 tall 8-pane unhorned sashes with hood-moulds to ground floor of cross-wing to right. Tripartite unhorned sash with glazing bars and hood mould to ground floor of cross-wing to left. Tripartite unhorned sash with glazing bars and hood-mould to first floor of cross-wing to right. Addition to right has tripartite unhorned sash with glazing bars and hood-mould to ground floor, and 12-pane unhorned sash with hood-mould to gable end. Addition to left has 12-pane unhorned sashes to all openings, except 9-pane sash to gable end, all with hood-moulds. C19 blind fretwork bargeboards to central cross-gables. Interior: double-height 4-bay hall to centre has central hammer-beam roof truss and arch-braced collar trusses to left and right of centre, having 2 rows of arched wind braces. C15 hall fireplace has stone surround with 4-centred arch and panelled frieze. Probably C19 straight-flight staircase and gallery to hall. Some blocked wood mullion windows visible to first floor of hall. Chapel, attached to rear of right cross-wing: probably C14, with much later remodelling. Coursed clunch rubble side walls; C19 red brick east end wall; old plain-tile roof. Lancet window to each side wall. Reticulated tracery window to east end. History: manor held by Turberville family from mid C12 to early C14. Held by Arches family from mid C14 and passed by marriage to the Eyston family in mid C15 in whose ownership it remains. The chapel reputed to be one of three built before the Reformation which have never been used for Protestant services. (Buildings of England, Berkshire, 1975, pl34; V.C.H., Berkshire, Vol 4, 1924, p295-81

Listing NGR: SU4609288635

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1975 - Page References: 134
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1924 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 295-8

National Grid Reference: SU 46092 88635

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 12:54:04.