List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BLAISE

List entry Number: 1368648

Location

CHURCH OF ST BLAISE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityMilton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250018

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HILTON HIGH STREET SU4892 (West side) 8/155 Church of Saint Blaise 09/02/66 GV II*

Church. C14 west tower and south porch; nave, north aisle, and chancel c.1849 by Henry Woodyer. Coursed stone rubble to tower; squared coursed stone to nave, aisle, and chancel; C19 plain-tile roof; roof of tower not visible, 4-bay nave and north aisle, 2-bay chancel and west tower. Gothic Revival style. C19 plank door to 2 centre arched doorway to left of nave, with stone-vaulted stone porch. Cl9 Perpendicular tracery windows to nave, aisle, and chancel. Tower: 2-light plate tracery louvred openings to each side of bell chamber stage. Battlemented parapet. Interior; arch-braced collar truss roofs to chancel, north aisle, and part of nave. Plaster vault to rest of nave. C19 reredos, altar, altar rail and painted inscriptions to chancel. C19 stone pulpit with C20 alterations to right of nave, Moved C19 stone font to north aisle, History: Bryant Barrett of Milton Manor House (q.v.) built his family vault onto the Church in 1769. Bishop Challoner was buried here in 1791, until his remains were removed in 1947 to Westminster Cathedral. (Buildings of England: Berkshire: 1975, p178; Milton Manor, Oxfordshire by S. Mockler, undated)

Listing NGR: SU4853692417

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Mockler, S - Title: Milton Manor Oxfordshire
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1975 - Page References: 178

National Grid Reference: SU 48536 92417

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 05:29:50.