List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHERRY BARN AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES EAST OF BAYLLOLS MANOR

List entry Number: 1368642

Location

CHERRY BARN AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, APPROXIMATELY 5 METRES EAST OF BAYLLOLS MANOR, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityHarwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 05-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249982

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 31/08/2012

SU4989 9/119 25/10/51

HARWELL HIGH STREET (West side) Cherry Barn and attached outbuildings, approx. 5m E of Bayllols Manor

(Formerly listed as Cherry Barn and attached outbuildings, approx. 5m E of King's Manor)

(Formerly listed as Middle Farmhouse and Barn)

GV II*

Barn, part probably originally of different use; with attached outbuildings. 2-bay, cruck range of c.l350, with 2-bays of mid Cl5 outbuilding at end of probably C17 two-bay barn attached at right-angles to cruck range; cruck range has three-bay mid outbuilding to end. Stone coursed rubble plinth; large timber-framing with weatherboarding thatch roof, half hipped to left end, with old plain-tile area at junction of ranges. Now 4-bay barn with outbuilding cross-range, C20 alterations to gabled midstrey to right on road side. C20 double sliding doors to cross-range. Interior: double Queen-post roofs to 4-bay barn range and to C17 outbuilding, with windbraces. Full crucks to cruck range with chamfered braces and blades. History; the farmstead was owned by the Bayllol (or Baillol) family from 1200-1350. The Brounz family owned it from c.1350-1484. The farmstead was bought by William Waynflete, Bishop of Winchester in 1484, The cruck range was possibly built as a hall for retainers or lesser visitors. The mid-C15 outbuilding, now part of the barn, was possibly used for brewing or malting. (Crucks in the West Berkshire and Oxford Region, by J. Fletcher in 0xoniensia, Vol 33; 1968, p71-88; Three Medieval Farmhouses in Harwell, by J. Fletcher in Berkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol 62, 1955-6, p45-69)

Listing NGR: SU4919289339

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Berkshire Archaeological Journal' in Berkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 62, (1966), 45-69
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 33, (1968), 71-88

National Grid Reference: SU 49192 89339

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 10:43:57.