List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1368608

Location

CHAPEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityRadley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249786

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RADLEY ST. PETER'S COLLEGE SU59NW 9/110 Chapel GV II* Chapel. 1893-4 by Sir T.G. Jackson: C20 vestries. Banded English bond, red and orange brick, with limestone ashlar dressings; gabled old tile roof. Late Gothic Revival style. Perpendicular-style east window: terracotta foiled and Perpendicular blind tracery above and below: flanking shafts and finial of crocketed ogee arch are continued as crocketed pinnacles: east gable also has crenellated parapet of brick and stone chequer work. String course links offset corner buttresses and wall buttresses of 6-bay side walls: depressed ogee-arches over 4-light windows with elaborately-traceried heads. Similar west gable wall and window: very fine French Gothic-style bell turret. Entry through fine doorway in west bay via cloister walk to north (q.v.). Interior: magnificent C15 Flemish carved and gilded wood altarpiece brought to St. Peter's College by its founder, Canon Sewell, in 1847. Terracotta trefoiled blind arches over sedilia. Many fittings, including benches, with cusped back-panels, and organ loft, were brought to the old chapel from Cologne in 1847. Cusped tie-beam roof. Monuments: Boer an memorial with figures of St. George and the Dragon: Elizabethan-style aedicule memorial to fallen of First World War. Stained glass: east window by Burlison and Gryls. The Flemish altarpiece is the most important item in the chapel and designing around it entailed the high position of the east window. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.197; T.D. Raikes, Fifty Years of St. Peter's College, 1897, pp.181-7, 11-12; Patrick Drysdale, Radley, 1985, p.16).

Listing NGR: SU5183799505

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 197
Raikes, T D , Fifty Years of St Peters College, (1897), 181-7

National Grid Reference: SU 51837 99505

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 02:53:31.