List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WYTHAM ABBEY AND ATTACHED WALL

List entry Number: 1368599

Location

WYTHAM ABBEY AND ATTACHED WALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityWytham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249854

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WYTHAM SP4708 10/177 Wytham Abbey and attached wall 06/08/52 (Formerly listed as Wytham Abbey) GV I Country house, now flats. Late C15 and C16 for Harcourt family; remodelled and partly rebuilt (to left) for Fifth Earl of Abingdon in 1809-10 by Thomas Cundy. Limestone ashlar; gabled stone slate roof, except Welsh slate, C20 tiles and lead roofs to inner ranges; numerous stone ashlar stacks. Originally centred around 2 courtyards which were infilled in early C19, making triple-depth plan. 2 storeys and attic; 9-window range. Entered by 3-storey gatehouse in third bay from left: offset corner buttresses; early C19 studded doors set in Tudor-arched doorway; late C15 three-light oriel windows with cinquefoil heads; moulded string course with gargoyles, crenellated parapet; diagonal stair-turret to left and larger crenellated stair-turret to right. Early C19 two-window range to left: early C19 three-light mullioned and transomed round-headed windows: 2 front gables linked by crenellated parapet. 6-window range to right: late C15/C16 two- and 3-light mullioned round-headed windows, with crenellated parapet linked to 3 symmetrical gables. Similar recessed bay to right attached at right angles to crenellated limestone rubble wall with octagonal ashlar pier. To right is similar style 3-window range, and early C19 service range with gabled Welsh slate roof. Rear of main range: late C15/C16 two-light round-headed windows, and doorway: late C15 three-light round-headed mullioned and transomed windows above similar 2- and 3-light mullioned windows flank canted bay window with similar 5-light window with crenellated parapet. Early C19 four-window range to left has similar mullioned and transomed windows; projecting gabled bays to left, linked by loggia in left side wall. Interior: early C19 entrance hall leading to staircase hall with open-well stairs. Gatehouse has late C15/C16 reset armorial stained glass: late C15 fireplace with corbel heads to trefoil-panelled shaped overmantle with Harcourt arms above: newel staircase has original stone treads at top. Early C19 panelled room with marble fireplace and plaster ceiling to rear: early C19 Abingdon arms in room right of staircase: early C19 doors and fireplaces throughout. Flat 3 to left of gatehouse: large mid C19 marble fireplace: late C16 reset stained glass panels includes 3 Tudor roses, kneeling figure, and 4 heraldic panels with initials IE and ER: four C18 stained glass panels with domestic scenes and Annunciation scene. The manor house was bought by Sir Richard Harcourt in 1459: it passed to the Norreys family in the late C16 and later James Bertie who became Earl of Abingdon in 1682. When remodelled in 1811 the south courtyard, surrounded by domestic wings, was built over to include the entrance hall and staircase. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.314; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, pp,427-9; H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, 1978, p.245; Bodleian library, MS Top. Berkshire, C.51 No.238; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SP4741908519

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Colvin, H M - Title: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 - Date: 1978 - Page References: 245
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 314
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Ditchfield, P H and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire - Date: 1924 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 427-9

National Grid Reference: SP 47416 08515

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 06:17:35.