List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HYDE FARMOUSE

List entry Number: 1368562

Location

HYDE FARMOUSE, ABINGDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityMarcham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249637

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARCHAM SU4596 ABINGDON ROAD 1695-0/18/139 (North side)

12/02/87 Hyde Farmhouse

- II*

Farmhouse. Circa late C13 or early C14; remodelled circa late Middle Ages, remodelled and extended circ mid C16 and mid C17. Limestone rubble. Stone tile roof, the higher courses plain tiles, hipped left end, gabled at the end of rear wing. Stone axial and gable end stacks with brick shafts. PLAN: The original Medieval house comprised a long open hall of 3 bays seperated from a service bay at the south end, probably also open to the roof. Later in the Middle Ages the high, north, end bay of the hall was partitioned from the remainder of the hall, while remaining open to the roof; the north bay was subsequently floored, probably before the centre bay of the hall was floored in circa mid C16, leaving the remaining south bay of the hall open as a smoke bay, into which a chimney was inserted in circa 1600, creating a cross-passage on its lower, south, side. The south, service bay was floored probably in the C17. There is a wing on the east side of the north bay, the first part of which is circa mid C16 and timber-framed with one room and a cross-passage adjacent to the main range; this was extended in 1652 by John Prince, who built a parlour with a chamber above. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, asymmetrical 4-window west front. Various 3 and 4-light C17 and C18 casement windows with leaded panes, the 5-light hall window to the left of centre and the 3-light window above breaking the eaves have ovolo-moulded mullions and frames. Doorway to right of centre with circa late Medieval chamfered and shouldered wooden frame with chambered head and later plank door. At rear, east, outshuts in angle with wing on right. The wing is timber-framed with brick infill and extended in stone rubble with ovolo-moulded wooden mullion windows with leaded panes, first floor window on south side replaced in C20, its 1556 dated internal cill removed. INTERIOR:Little altered and retaining many C17 and earlier features. C17 plank doors, panelled cupboard doors and stone flag floors. Cross-passage has unchamfered joists and stud partition to service side. Service room to right has roughly chamfered cross-beam with diagonal stops and unchamferedjoists. Hall has high ceiling with chamfered cross-beam and broad joists all with hollow step stops and large fireplace with lightly chamfered cambered timber lintel, oven and gun-rack above. Inner, north, room has low ceiling with roughly chamfered axial beam without stops and unchamfered joists. Parlour in rear wing has chamfered axial beam with bar stops, wide fireplace with low chamfered lintel and plasterwork above, dated 1652 and with initials P/IM. Chamber above has similar plasterwork fireplace overmantel, exposed timber-framing of earlier bay of wing, which has jowled storey-posts and cambered tie-beam. Inner room chamber has exposed smoke-blackening above tie-beam in partition. Chamber over cross-passage has small fireplace with cambered lintel and staircase rising from hall with splat balusters. The Medieval 4-bay roof survives largely intact; the 2 north trusses of the long 3-bay open hall have pairs of parallel rafters, the inner rafters rising to a collar, the outer rising to the ridge, which is square-set on a small yoke; 2 tiers of purlins, the upper one trenched, the lower trapped between the parallel rafters; wind-braces from the inner rafter to the upper purlin. Some of the original common rafters survive. The 3 north bays are smoke-blackened and the lower end, south, truss is an open timber-framed partition, [sooted on both sides], with studding, clasped purlins and similar yoke and ridge. The principals ofthe south end truss survive in the gable-end wall. The roof of the north bay has been partly rebuilt with a hip. Rear wing has clasped-purlin roof SOURCE: Curde,C.R.J., Medieval Houses; Oxoniensia,LVII [1992], pp 167-171.



Listing NGR: SU4596796838

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Oxoniensia - Date: 1992 - Journal Title: Oxoniensia - Volume: 57 - Page References: 167-171

National Grid Reference: SU 45967 96838

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 07:55:11.