List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HAM HOUSE

List entry Number: 1368457

Location

HAM HOUSE, ICKLETON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityWantage

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Dec-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251189

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WANTAGE ICKLETON R0AD SU3987 (South side) 7/93 Ham House 22/04/50 (Formerly listed as The Ham)

GV II*

House. c.1740; mid/late C19 one-bay extension to left. Front of Flemish bond red brick; old tile roof; flared and red brick stacks. Double-depth plan. Two storey and attic; 3-window range. Central gabled entrance bay brought forward and surmounted by 3 ball finials; fine Ionic Venetian window with blind balustrade above Venetian doorway with C20 door and glazing. Gauged brick flat arches over late C18 sashes in outer bays. Moulded cornice; late C19 bay to left of front in similar style and materials with lateral moulded stack and rear canted bay. One-bay wings, to rear of main range, with hipped roofs and mid C18 sash to right, flank large central canted bay of flared brick with red brick dressings, flanking stacks and pyramidal roof; central bay and left block have moulded string and plinth courses and gauged brick flat arches over sashes; much of right block hidden by mid/late C19 range to right of front and has T-shaped mid C18 one-storey range to rear. Interior: Front hall with black and white stone-tiled floor has mid C18 six-panelled doors in shouldered architraves with elaborate carved cornices to left and right. 3-bay screen of fluted Doric columns to rear hall which has similar doors and finely carved fireplace; open-well stairs with turned balusters and banisters ramped to fluted newel posts to rear left; quarter-turn stairs with turned balusters and 3-bay round-headed triple-keyed screen to right. Room to left of hall has bolection-moulded panelling and fine mid C18 fireplace reset in left side wall; rood to right has early C18 fireplace. First floor has round-headed doorways with key and impost blocks; 6-panelled doors. One-storey block to rear right has similar doorways with carved cornices to panelled room which has fine fireplace with cherub's head to bolection-moulded overmantle and broken pediment to central urn; room to rear has late C19 Georgian-style panelling.

Listing NGR: SU3904087434

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 39040 87434

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 07:57:55.