List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1368423

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityPusey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250992

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PUSEY SU39NE 3/162 Church of All Saints 21/11/66 GV II*

Church. 1745-50 for J.A. Pusey; top of tower c.1840. Limestone ashlar to west porch, dressed and coursed limestone with strap pointing and ashlar quoins to other walls; roof not visible. Oblong plan, with transeptal north and south chapels and west tower and porch. Mid Georgian style. Venetian east window; memorial inscription to William White d.1655 in south wall of chancel. Venetian windows to end walls of transeptal chapels which have flat string with cavetto moulded soffit beneath parapet; also two lunettes flanking segmental arch over 6-panelled (2 glazed) door to each of west walls. Semi-circular keyed arch with impost blocks to each side wall of nave, which has similar arch to pedimented west porch; segmental arch over 3-panelled double-leaf west door in porch. Parapet ramped up to west tower of c.1840; similar semi-circular arches with plain string at impost level and bracketed Italian style cornice to Greek acroteria. Interior: Moulded plaster cornices. Carved face of Christ in south chancel wall. Semi-circular keyed chancel arch with impost blocks; mid C19 rail. Venetian screens to side chapels. South chapel has pedimented doorway with Roman Ionic pilasters, wall tablet to Philip Pusey d.1867 and large monument by Peter Scheemakers to Jane and J.A. Pusey d. 1742 and 1753; broken pediment and Roman Ionic pilasters frame reredos with bust over reclining female figure holding book. North chapel has oval tablet by William Bird for M. Dunch, d.1679, which has crude weeping putti flanking heraldic crest at top; Nave has elaborate mid C18 octagonal font, royal arms carved in stone over door and reset incised memorial slab with figures of Henry Dogget and wife. d.1480. (R. Gunn, Dictionary of British Sculptors, 1600-1821, 1951, pp,55, 344; Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.195).

Listing NGR: SU3604996526

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Gunnis, R - Title: Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 - Date: 1953 - Page References: 55
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Gunnis, R - Title: Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 - Date: 1953 - Page References: 55
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Gunnis, R - Title: Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 - Date: 1953 - Page References: 344
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1975 - Page References: 195

National Grid Reference: SU 36049 96526

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 11:21:01.