List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BUCKLAND HOUSE

List entry Number: 1368380

Location

BUCKLAND HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityBuckland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250865

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKLAND BUCKLAND PARK SU39NW 2/13 Buckland House 21/11/66 GV II*

Country House. c.1757 for Sir Robert Throckmorton by John Wood the younger; alterations and additions c.1910 by Romaine Walker. Limestone ashlar and rusticated limestone; Welsh slate and lead roof; limestone ashlar stacks. original plan was house flanked by low wings with octagonal pavilions. Large side wings added c.1910. Two storeys and attic; 5 bays 1:3:1 fenestration with giant order of Corinthian capitals to central pediment. Ashlar to basement with wedged and keyed lintels over sashes. Chamfered rustication to ground floor and porch of c.1910, whcih has keyed semi-circular arch over 4-panelled double-leaf doors with fanlight and balustraded parapet. Porch flanked by sashes in similar openings. Alternate first-floor sashes set in pedimented Corinthian aedicules on consoles. Floating cornices and Corinthian columns frame windows flanked centre bay. Garlands and putti to broad frieze; 2-light attic windows; Ionic modillioned cornice. Hipped roof; prominent ridge stack and lesser internal stacks. Low 9-bay side wings of early C20 French windows alternating with blind round-headed alcoves and with balustraded parapet connect main block to outer octagonal pavilions; pedimented front bay of each pavilion has paired Doric pilasters breaking into a Venetian window with Doric pilasters, and side walls have semi-circular arches over sashes. Low balustrades link main block to pavilions and to steps fronting right pavilion. Two storey and attic, 3 x 5 bay blocks to left and right of central block built c.1910 in similar style and materials. Tympanum of central projection and rear bays has carved heraldic crest. Interior: Entrance hall c,1910 with coupled Roman Ionic pilaster and garlanded panels over each of 6-panelled doors. Saloon of c.1757 behind hall has consoles to floating cornices aver 6-panelled doors, modillioned cornice to fine plaster coving with modillions and swags and painted ceiling depicting Reni's s "Aurora". Large chimney piece. Room to left has fine late C18 coloured marble fireplace and garlanded frieze to ceiling with rococo plasterwork. Staircase of c.1910) in original position to rear left of hall. Doric pilasters frame walls of passage to east pavilion, possibly a chapel, which has Corinthian angle pilasters, modillioned cornice and garlanded frieze to ceiling with strapwork; alternating pedimented Corinthian aedicules and semi-circular arches with coffered reveals to projecting bays; head of Apollo with rays to fireplace. West pavilion has scagliola Corinthian columns, late C18 fireplace, frieze with putti and modillions to painting ceiling by Cupicani and Rebecca depicting various Arts and Sciences. First floor: semi-circular arches with coffered reveals, mid C18 fireplaces, more elaborate fireplaces and plaster friezes to main rooms on right. Corinthian capitals to Venetian windows in side walls. Flanking blocks of c.1910; Queen Anne style rooms with bolection moulded panelling to left and painted ceiling in room with panelled dado to right; bathrooms with inlaid marble walls to both floors an right. (Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1660-1840, 1978, p.912; Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.105-6; A.S.N. Wright, The History of Buckland, 1966, pp.45-7, 65).

Listing NGR: SU3405298212

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Wright, A S N - Title: The History of Buckland - Date: 1966 - Page References: 45-7
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Colvin, H M - Title: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 - Date: 1978 - Page References: 912
  3. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 34 Oxfordshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Berkshire - Date: 1975

National Grid Reference: SU 34052 98212

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 04:55:28.