List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1368120

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityColeshill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251497

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLESHILL SU2393 Church of All Saints 6/36 21/11/66 GV II* Parish church. Originally late C12 with alterations and additions circa 1300, mid C14 and mid C15. Restored and further altered in 1715, 1750, 1780-8 and the late C19. Coursed rubble stone to nave, larger squared and dressed stone in uneven courses to the chancel, transept and lower stage of the tower, ashlar for stair turret and top 2 stages of the tower. Gabled stone tiled roofs with dressed stone copings. 2-bay nave, 1-bay chancel, W tower, S porch, S transept and N aisle. Perpendicular W tower of 3 storeys with diagonal buttresses moulded string courses, 2-light cusped bell openings with Somerset tracery and dripstones. Gargoyles on string course below moulded embattled parapet with pinnacles. 2-storey polygonal stair turret to SE. Perp. W window of 3 lights with cusped heads, dripstone and carved label stops. W door with a four-centred arch set in a flat headed hoodmould with carved label stops and mouchettes in the spandrels. Regency Gothic wooden door with 'y' tracery panels. Decorated S porch of 2 storeys with a gabled roof, diagonal buttresses with a sundial set into the SW buttress and one and 2-light ogee headed lancets. C19 gable coping and cross finial. The porch entrance is a plain moulded pointed arch dying into its imposts. Early English S door with a rounded trefoiled head. Good C19 ironwork on plank door. Dec. S transept with S three-light recut original window and one purely C19 cusped lancet. One C19 2-light window to S wall of chancel, a large C18 quatrefoil window to E wall and one C19 lancet and one original Dec. lancet, blocked, to N wall. N aisle has late C19 windows of 3 lights with curvaceous Perp. tracery and a quatrefoiled parapet. Interior: a tall, plainly moulded arch to W tower under which a vault was planned - the springers survive but the ringing stage has a timbered floor. The nave has a S arcade of Transitional columns and flat leaved capitals with later double chamfered arches and a N arcade of late C13 character with round abaci and double chamfered arches. C19 gallery above S porch. Double chamfered chancel arch on dying imposts. 1788 E window set within Cl9 Early English shafts and capitals. Perp. ceilings throughout with braced tie beams on plain stone corbels supporting rafters. Stained glass in E window inserted in 1788 depicting the Nativity, brought from Angers. Good early C20 stained glass in S transept window. Fine monument on the S wall of the chancel to Sir Henry Pratt, died 1647 and his wife. White and black marble. Two effigies, she recumbent and below, he semi-reclining, a little above. Repaired in 1831. Also on the S wall of the chancel, a pyramidal marble monument with cherubs and an oval portrait medallion to Viscountess Folkestone who died in 1751 by Michael Rysbrack. On N wall of chancel an alternated Gothic canopy by Coade and Seely of 1812 to Mark Stuart Pleydell. C18 box pews survive in the S transept.

Listing NGR: SU2354693776

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 23546 93776

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 08:50:30.