List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BUSCOT PARK

List entry Number: 1368116

Location

BUSCOT PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityBuscot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251481

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUSCOT SU29NW Buscot Park 1/23 10/11/52 GV II* Country house. Built about 1780 for Edward Loveden Townsend, altered in the 1860s, altered and extended in 1889 and finally reduced in size and given E and W Pavilions (q.v.) in 1934-6. No architects are recorded for the first 2 phases of building, but the 1889 extensions were made by Sir Ernest George whose partner, Harold Peto, was landscaping the grounds at that time, and the final phase of reconstruction was directed by Geddes Hyslop. This reinstated the restrained classical lines of the original 1780 design. Finely jointed ashlar, rusticated base, dentil cornice and a hipped slate roof with E and W and ridge stone stacks. 3 storeys and attic, 9 bays. S front of 9 bays with 2 dormers. The 3 centre bays have slight projection and a pediment with carved floral enrichment, a wide flight of steps to central glazed doors with cornice head at first floor level. Modern sashes and blind boxes to all windows. The N front has 3 central bays flanked by segmental bows of 3 windows each the whole height of the building. 7 dormer windows. E and W fronts have 3 bay projections and pediments with lunettes. The interiors were all redesigned and redecorated in the 1934-6 reconstruction in a mixed neo-Classical manner incorporating wine very fine original C18 chimney-pieces. A series of paintings entitled 'the Briar Rose' by Edward Burne Jones that were acquired for the Drawing Room by Alexander Henderson in 1890 were installed under the artist's direction and in specially designed frames in the Saloon where they still hang. Country Life, 18, 25 May 1940; National Trust Guidebook to Buscot Park.

Listing NGR: SU2430696829

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Guidebook to Buscot Park
'Country Life' in 25 May, (1940)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

National Grid Reference: SU 24306 96829

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 08:08:26.