List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1368112

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityGreat Coxwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251561

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT COXWELL SU29SE Church of St Giles 4/89 21/11/66 GV II* Parish church. Originally a C13 plan, altered and enlarged in the C15 and restored in 1882. Rubble stone and stone dressings, cement render to S wall of nave and tower with gabled stone tiled roofs. 2-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, N porch, W tower. Perpendicular tower of 3 storeys with plain string courses, 2-light cusped bell openings under flat heads with dripstones, a moulded string to upper storey with gargoyles and an embattled parapet. W window of 3 cusped lights under a pointed head. S wall of nave has one flat-headed window of 3 cusped lights, a 2-cusped-light window under a pointed head, a similar but smaller 2-light window of C19 date and a large flat-headed window of 3 cusped lights next to another of 2 lights. Apart from the C19 window these are C14 and C15. The N wall of the nave preserves 2 Early English lancets. The chancel S wall rebuilt circa 1290 but preserves an Early English lancet and a plainly moulded priest's door alongside a Decorated 2-cusped-light window under a pointed head. The chancel N wall has 2 Early English lancets. E window of three stepped pointed-trefoiled lights under a pointed arch of the late C13. On the W end of the nave is a decayed C13 sanctus bellcote. Gabled, stone tiled, timber- faced porch leads to the N doorway with a plain pointed arch and hoodmould and an early C15 door with large scale tracery with feathered cusping. Inside a plainly moulded C15 arch to the tower, deep splays to the windows and a mid C13 chancel arch on half shafts. The chancel has a cusped-headed piscina on the S wall, a trefoil-headed niche behind the altar flanked by 2 lancet niches and below these, rectangular niches. Open trussed-rafter roofs with semi-circular bracing, both restored C19. Circa 1500 brass to William Morys in nave. 18 inch figure, with 3 small figures below. He is recorded to have been 'sumtyme fermor of Cokysell'. There are also several late C18 mural tablets. In the E window clear glass panes with engraved shields of 1792 by Eginton. Late C17 communsion rail with flat balusters of dumb-bell outline and a Jacobean pulpit with strapwork in the nave behind which are rood stairs.

Listing NGR: SU2698893423

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 26989 93424

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 11:25:49.