List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOWER COURT FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1368038

Location

LOWER COURT FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireWest OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityChadlington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253200

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP32SW CHADLINGTON GREENEND

7/19 Lower Court Farmhouse

II*

Manor house. Probably c.1700 for the Osbaldeston family, altered mid/late C18, possibly for the Baynton family, and re-modelled C19. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roofs with ashlar gable stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys plus attic. Former symmetrical 5-window front has been altered to a 3-window arrangement by blocking the outer pairs of openings and inserting between them windows of similar proportion; all have tall C19 casements below stone lintels but the original rubble flat arches survive. The fine original stone doorcase, enclosing a 6-panel door with overlight, has a segmental-arched inner architrave with a projecting keyblock, set between panelled pilasters which support a large segmental pediment. A "Sun" insurance plaque is set within the tympanum. Rear has a similarly-altered arrangement of windows with a plain doorway. Steep-pitched double-span roof has paired stacks with plinths and moulded caps, and has 3 roof dormers each side. A T-shaped single-storey service range extends from the right and forwards. Interior: original features include heavy cornices and some bolection-mould panelled doors, the bolection-mould dado and architraves of the entrance hall, a chimneypiece with full-height fluted pilasters and a Doric entablature, and a fine oak open-well stair, rising to the attics, with a closed string, heavy barleytwist balusters and a square handrail with a moulded capping. Fielded-panelled doors and dados are probably mid/late C18; the elaborate Rococo-style ceiling and pelmets of the rear drawing room may be early C19, although the 2 fine Adam-stlye doorcases with mahogany panelled doors could be earlier. 2 plain early-C18 fireplaces survive, one with a re-used C17 carved-oak overmantel incorporating a fine cartouche of arms. Sir William Osbaldeston, Bart, was High Sheriff in 1710 and Stuckley Baynton High Sheriff in 1768. Formerly the manor house of Chadlington West. (The Hon. T.G. Roche: Historical Notes on Chadlington and its Church: 1971, p5)

Listing NGR: SP3236721158

Selected Sources

Other
Roche, TG , Historical Notes on Chadlington and its Church, 1971,

National Grid Reference: SP 32367 21158

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 02:24:09.