List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1368037

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, EASTEND

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireWest OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityChadlington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253194

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP32SW CHADLINGTON EASTEND (South side) 7/13 Church of St. Nicholas 27/08/57

GV II*

Church. Late C12 (and possibly earlier), C13 and C15; restored and chancel rebuilt 1870 by Charles Buckeridge. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; sheet-metal and Stonesfield-slate roofs. Chancel, nave, south vestry, north transept, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. C19 steep-roofed chancel in Decorated style has a 3-light east window with reticulated tracery, and two 2-light windows to north, all with carved head stops. Vestry to south has a re-used 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery and a square-headed window facing south. To right of porch, south aisle has two double lancets with trefoil heads and deeply-cut moulding; the westernmost is probably C19; to left of the porch is a plain C13 double lancet. C15 porch has a moulded outer arch and shelters the restored late-C12 south doorway with a round arch of 3 chamfered orders on jambs of a detached shaft flanked by attached shafts, all with moulded capitals. Both aisles have small lancets at the west end. North aisle has 2 tall square-headed 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery within casement mouldings, which flank the contemporary doorway with recessed ornamented spandrels under a label mould. Tall late-C14 transept has a 4-light early-Perpendicular window to east and a 3-light window to north, both with transoms in the tracery. C15 clerestory has square-headed traceried windows of 2 and 3 lights with large carved head stops. Deep C15 parapets to nave, aisles and transept also have carved heads and gargoyles including a fine "green man". 2 lower stages of the unbuttressed tower may be contemporary with the late-C12/early-C13 third stage which has pairs of trefoil-headed openings under crude labels, but they could be earlier; second stage has a round-headed lancet, but 2-light west window is C14. C15 top stage has 2-light traceried bell-chamber openings, and carries a crenellated parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles and gargoyles. Interior: C19 chancel has a double sedilia and piscina to south with cinquefoiled arches. Chancel arch and the low arch leading to the transept are C15, but the remains of a Romanesque window survive above the latter, and the arch incorporates C13 shafts with moulded bases and capitals. 4-bay south arcade and remaining 3 bays of north arcade arm C13, with circular columns, moulded capitals and arches of 2 chamfered orders. Both arcades clasp the tower which has a plain arch of 2 continuous orders. Both aisles have C15 piscinae. C15-style nave roof has traceried kingpost trusses, and rises from carved corbels. Other roofs are plainer and date from C19. Fittings are C19, except for a C17 communion table with baluster legs, and a chest with arcaded front. C19 stained glass in chancel; early-C20 glass in transept. Monuments include a tablet flanked by scrolls and cherub, bearing an armorial cartouche between flaming urns, which commemorates Joseph Rollinson (d.1699), and a marble wall monument by Ricketts of Gloucester to Sir William and Lady Catherine Osbaldeston (d.1740) and 1737) with an urn and serpent against a black obelisk. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp524/5)

Listing NGR: SP3336722032

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 524-5

National Grid Reference: SP 33367 22032

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 04:00:31.