List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1367657

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityShifnal

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-May-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255245

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 7407-7507 SHIFNAL C.P. CHURCH STREET (North side)

10/28 Church of St. Andrew

26/5/55

GV I

Parish Church. C12 and C13 with alterations in C14 and C15, and after fire of 1591; restored 1876-9 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Random coursed sandstone, ashlar, and old tile roofs. Cruciform, with central tower, 4 bay chancel with South chapel and vestry to North, and 4 bay nave and aisles with South porch. Tower: late C13. 3 stages with set backs, stair turret to North-West, battlemented parapet, and pyramidal roof with finial. Nave: large 3-light West window and doorway beneath with moulded surround, one order of shafts with bell capitals, and moulded arch with hoodmould. South Aisle: battlemented parapet to C15 re-building at right. 2-light window to left with plate tracery, and three 3-light windows to right with panelled tracery and hoodmoulds. South Perch: 2 storeys with gable to front; first floor 2-light transomed window with quatrefeil plate tracery; moulded trefoiled entrance arch with 2 orders of shafts, bell capitals, and hoodmould; gabled stair turret to left. Interior of porch has quadripartite vault with moulded ribs, central carved boss, and corner shafts with bell capitals; simply moulded South doorway. North Aisle: paired 2-light windows with quatrefoil plate tracery; boarded door in second bay from West with hoodmould. South Transept: C12 with C15 battlemented parapet; two C15 two-light windows to South with panelled tracery and hoodmoulds; central blocked C12 doorway consisting of 2 orders of shafts with shaft rings and carved feliated capitals. North Transept: C15; battlemented parapet and projecting stair turret to North-West; 2 and 3-light windows with panelled tracery and hoodmoulds; chamfered arched North doorway. Chancel: C12 and c. 1360. North side: 2 central C12 round arched windows with nook shafts, hoodmoulds, and corbelled eaves above, 3-light C16 window to right, and 3-light C14 window to left. South side: 3-light C14 window to right, C14 cusped-arched tomb recess beneath with female effigy, and C18 wall tablet to left. East end: large 5-light window with reticulated trefoil tracery, and hoodmould. South Chapel: 2 bays; 3-light windows with reticulated tracery; central South door with string course carried over as hoodmould, and carved figure in wall above. Vestry: dated 1899 on cast iron SA rainwater heads, by W. D. Caroe in a Tudor Gothic style. Battlemented parapet; depressed-arched 3-light windows; bearded door to East. Interior: nave arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches with hood- moulds; first floor porch room projecting into second aisle bay from West with lower arcade arch, and quadripartite vault beneath with moulded ribs and central carved boss. Circa 1591 seven-bay double hammer beam nave roof with carved scroll brackets. Tall double chamfered crossing arches. South Transept with chamfered arch into South Aisle; restored C12 arch into South Chancel Chapel with nook shaft; former external C12 window to West with splayed reveals, nook shafts and hoodmould; aumbry to North and remains of piscina to South; C16 flat roof. North Transept with chamfered arch into North Aisle and C16 flat roof. Chancel: former C12 chancel arch to East of crossing with square abacia and carved capitals; 4 bay sedilia and piscina with open trefoiled arches; Circa 1591 four-bay double hammer beam roof with carved scroll brackets. South (Moreton) Chapel: 2 bay C14 North arcade with octagonal piers, and moulded capitals and arches; remains of re-used C13 sedilia in South wall; probably C16 hammer beam roof. Fittings: C17 octagonal wooden pulipt with C19 enrichments, C19 octagonal stone font, and hatchment in South Transept. Glass includes West window of 1848-52, East window by Hardman of c. 1867, and 2 windows in South Transept by Powell's of 1863. Monuments: Thomas Forster of 1526, tomb recess in North Chancel wall with 2 piers supporting cornice, depressed arch with carved spandrels, and effigy of priest; Oliver Brigges of 1596, chest tomb in South Chapel with recumbant effigy; Humphrey Brigges and wife of 1626, chest tomb in South Chapel with 2 recumbant effigies, and 2 small kneeling figures at feet of wife: Magdalen Brigges of 1698, tablet on South Chancel wall with bust in circular niche with putti above; Revd. Moreton Esq. of 1746, tablet in South Chapel; Mary Bagott of 1746, tablet in South Chapel. Stone in Churchyard wall near gate to Meet inscribed "Ope sela Gulielmi wa1ford, Viri plurimum/Awici Tandum Resurg /1691" (not listed), cranage,Vol.1, p.p. 27-37; N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire, p.p. 243-5.

Listing NGR: SJ7468807491

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 243-245

National Grid Reference: SJ 74688 07491

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 02:57:22.