List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA

List entry Number: 1367602

Location

CHURCH OF ST MILBURGA, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBeckbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255166

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 70 SE BECKBURY C.P. HIGH STREET (South side)

5/50 Church of St. Milburga.

-

GV II*

Parish Church. C13 origins, remodelled CI8, restored and altered C19. Red sandstone ashlar walls and red brick patching at East end of nave, plain tiled roofs. West tower, c 1730; 2 stages on plinth, plain string course, rusticated quoins, moulded cornice and pyramidal roof with weather vane; West doorway has a Gibbs surround, 2 round windows on North and West faces of belfry, now filled by clocks (J. Smith of Shifnal, 1856), above on West a round headed window and in the East wall a semi- circular opening. Nave, also c 1730, rusticated quoins at South West and South East angles, moulded eaves cornice, pierced by C19 clerestorey on North side. South aisle 1856, five 2 light decorated style windows, buttresses; North aisle and Transept 1880, 2 light windows and plain pointed door; North porch timber with bargeboards on sandstone walls 1888. Chancel, early Cl4, restored 1856 and 1884; East window c 1300, 3 lights with intersecting cusped tracery, two 2-light early C14 windows and at West end cusped lancets above blocked low-side windows, that on South retaining original iron framework, diagonal buttresses to East wall, a memorial stone to Eleanor Watts (died 1816) is fixed to the South wall, blocked arched opening of uncertain purpose on North, recently restored, is most probably a mediaeval tomb recess. Interior; Much C19 restoration, nave arcades of 3 bays and tower arch re-built 1888, roof with massive tie beam aim restored; chancel arch and low stone screen erected 1884 when East end was raised, arch braced roof to chancel probably C19, early Cl4 piscina in South wall, stained glass in East window 1885. Stone pulpit with naturalistic foliage carving (designer unknown) 1867, Perpendicular font with cusped quatrefoils and shields in the panels considerably restored 1892; East window in South wall of South aisle contains fragments of C14 stained glass re-assembled by the Vicar in 1893, parish cheat with fine ornamental iron work (? mediaeval). Incised alabaster slab (probably from an altar tomb) to Richard Haughton, died 1505, and his wife, Margaret, on the North wall of the chancel, was moved here during the 1856 restoration. In the Middle Ages, Beckbury was a dependent chapelry of the parish of Holy Trinity, Much Wenlock. Cranage Vol. III, pp,184-5.

Listing NGR: SJ7651101558

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 184-5

National Grid Reference: SJ 76511 01558

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 01:27:05.