List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1367522

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityMonkhopton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1970

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 254742

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MONKHOPTON

823/20/1 Church of St Peter 09-MAR-70

II*



Small rural church. C12 core; tower of 1835; later Victorian restoration. Rendered and blocked out and with a tiled roof. Plan of nave with internal W tower; chancel; SW porch; NE vestry with a catslide roof, flat-roofed rectangular block to the NW.

EXTERIOR. Unbuttressed chancel with a trefoil-headed priest's door on the S side with nailhead decoration to the hoodmould. Pevsner considers this likely to be an 1830s copy of a medieval doorway. The uncusped Y-tracery S chancel window is probably 1835 tracery in a C12 opening; 3-light C19 plate-traceried E window; round-headed C12 N window to chancel with a deep internal splay. The N side of the nave has steeply-pointed 2-light traceried windows and one round-headed C12 window with a deep internal splay. Slender embattled W tower of 1835 with a 2-light Y-traceried W window and arched belfry openings with hoodmoulds. The porch has a plain round-headed outer doorway and a chamfered round-headed inner doorway with one order of zig-zag moulding, mostly renewed. The inner face of the doorway has jambs that turn from square section to chamfered and a splayed head.

INTERIOR. Unplastered walls. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Chancel screen with square-headed openings with tracery and traceried openings to the wainscot. Some of the structure may be late medieval but the tracery appears to be C19 or early C20. The W wall has a round-headed tower arch and, above it, a C12 round-headed window, now internal. The chancel has curious Norman style decoration to the inner arch of the S window. Pevsner considers it C12 but it may be C19. C19 2-bay chancel roof with an arch braced truss. Nave roof with 2 arch-braced trusses and 2 tiers of purlins. This is difficult to date but the principal timbers may be late medieval. The rafters and boarding behind have been renewed and the ridgeboard is secondary. c.1945 polygonal timber pulpit with fielded panels and an inscription commemorating World War II. Font with a plain polygonal bowl on a stem. Nave benches with shouldered ends. Brass of 1640. Panes of Flemish glass in the W window.

A very heavily restored church of C12 origins, preserving some C12 openings, with a Gothick tower of 1835.

SOURCES: Pevsner, Shropshire, 1958, 202.



Listing NGR: SO6256293424

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 202

National Grid Reference: SO 62562 93424

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 07:29:55.