List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List entry Number: 1367480

Location

CHURCH OF ST HELEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityGreat Oxendon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360286

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT OXENDON SP78SN 3/33 Church of St. Helen 02/11/54

- II*

Church. C13, C14 with C19 restoration. Squared coursed lias and limestone with concrete tiled roof to nave, chancel and north aisle and porch and aluminium roof to south aisle. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel of one window range of 2-light square headed windows to north and south. 3-light C19 east window with reticulated tracery. Gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finials. South aisle of 2-window range, 2-light C19 window to left with cusped tracery. 3-light square-headed window to right. Similar 3-light east window. Gabled porch between windows has single chamfered arch and Decorated door surround in south wall with plank and braced door. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. North aisle similar with two 3-light square headed windows. North porch between windows has blocked door and window openings and is now used as a vestry. Angle and clasping buttresses throughout. West tower of 3 stages with string course sub-divisions in first and third stage. 3 stage ashlar buttresses in first stage. Each stage sets back in receeding steps. 2-light bell chamber openings to each face of the third stage. Castellated parapet with square pinnacles at the corners has sections missing. Interior: Double chamfered chancel arch, 3-bay nave arcade. That to south is C13 with double chamfered arches, circular piers and circular capitals and abaci. That to the north is C14 with double chamfered arches, quatrefoil piers and ball flower enrichment. There are 2 half arches across the north aisle. The triple chamfered tower arch has capitals with flowers. Chancel roof is C19 and nave roof is C20. There is a sedilia in the left wall of the chancel. Stained glass: East window by Powell 1870. Stained glass also to east and south east windows of south aisle. Font, tub shape probably C12, with vertical zig zag decoration. Monument, marble table, is to Elizabeth Harrison died 1837. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.236).

Listing NGR: SP7355783938

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 73557 83938

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 05:18:31.