List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1367376

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthoritySelattyn and Gobowen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255758

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SELATTYN AND GOBOWEN C.P. SELATTYN SJ 23 SE 4/45 Church of St Mary 8.10.59 GV I

Parish church. C13 nave and chancel, tower of 1703-4, north transept of 1821, south transept of 1828 (shortened 1892); north aisle and restoration by C. Hodgson Fowler of Durham in 1892. Uncoursed and roughly coursed gritstone and conglomerate rubble with ashlar dressings; late C19 machine tile roofs. Nave and chancel in one; west tower; transepts; north aisle and south porch. Tower. Datestone 1704 on south side. 3 stages with embattled parapet and corner pinnacles; plinth and multi-stepped diagonal butt- resses; C18 brass weathercock to north-west corner. Belfry has windows of 2 lights with shouldered round-headed arches, Anglo-Saxon in appearance and possibly reused from an earlier tower; similar window to second stage on south. C19 west window. Nave: south side has square-headed window of 3 trefoil- headed lights, probably late C15, to east of doorway. Window to right also of 3 lights but with right light now cut by transept, has more rounded cusping and is probably C16; infilled narrow round-headed doorway beneath of indeterminate but presumably earlier date as cut by cill of window. Timber framed porch on sandstone ashlar walls erected 1892 in memory of Rowland Jones Venables and his wife, Harriet; C13 single-chamfered pointed south doorway. South transept: has late C19 Perpendicular-style window to gable and pointed doorway of same date in east wall. Chancel: south side has restored C17 square- headed window of 3 cusped lights; C19 Perpendicular-style east window with contemporary roundel above. North transept: shortened by the erection of the north aisle in 1892 has window of 3 lights with intersecting tracery and cusped openings below to gable; square-headed window with 2 cusped lights to west wall. Late C19 doorway with shouldered arch to east wall. North aisle: 3-light Perpendicular-style window to east wall and 3 plain square-headed windows to north wall, that to left of 3 cusped lights and those to centre and right with 2 cusped lights; 2-light Decorated-style window to west wall. Stepped integral lateral stack with gabled top. Interior: main feature is early C15 arch-braced collar beam roof in 8 bays to nave and chancel with 2 tiers of cusped windbraces and cusped struts from collars to similarly cusped principal rafters. 3 bays to chancel have restored ceilure; cornice has elaborately carved quatrefoil decoration, largely C19 but copied from section of original at east end of north side; 3 bands of foliage decoration, the one at the apex also being carved with dragons. Panels are decorated with a variety of tracery patterns and have subsidiary rails with billet moulding and rose-shaped bosses. C19 carved angels at junction between ceilure and nave roof. Arch-braced roof of 1892 to north aisle. Late C19 low segmental pointed tower arch and north arcade of 5 four-centred arches with 4 clustered columns; similar arcade in 2 bays separates nave from south transept. Chancel has raised and fielded wainscot panelling of 1747 and reredos with Corinthian capitals. Panelling around walls of nave, north aisle and south transept with fluted pilasters reuses panels from C18 box pews. Above the door to the north transept (vestry) and in the south transept are the remains of a C15 rood loft with carved decoration similar to that of ceilure. C18 pulpit and altar rails with turned balusters. Communion table is partly Jacobean as are 2 flanking chairs. Chest at east end of north aisle incorporates some C17 and C18 work and oak chest in nave is dated 1760. Probably C13 circular font has moulded plinth on later moulded base and incised floral decoration to rim. Stained glass in east window depicting crucifixion by Kempe (c.1876). Stone above door to north transept, probably not in situ, has carvings of 3 nails and a heart with date "1679" in raised lettering and probably commemorates some alteration to the fabric. Monuments: plain C19 wall tablets and memorials, most notable being that to Revd. Thomas Edwards (died 1800), Rector of Llanfechain (Powys): draped urn. The roof at Selattyn is very similar in detail to the one at St Martin's (q.v. under Church of St Martin, St Martin's C.P.), although it is probably a little earlier in date. B.O.E. p.240; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908) pp. 830-33: Mrs Bulkeley-Owen, Selattyn: A History of the Parish, (no date but c.1900).

Listing NGR: SJ2663834027

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 830-3
Owen, B, Selattyn A History of the Parish, (1900)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 240

National Grid Reference: SJ 26639 34026

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 03:10:02.