List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE HAYES

List entry Number: 1367338

Location

THE HAYES, MOUNT ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityOswestry

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 255561

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 2830-2930 OSWESTRY C.P. MOUNT ROAD (south-west side)

11/88 The Hayes 10.9.51

GV II*

Hunting lodge, now house. Mid-C17 with later additions and alterations. Regularly coursed sandstone rubble, slate roof with coped verges on stone kneelers and ball finials to gables. Cruciform plan with late C19 addition (re-roofed in late C20) in angle between right and rear gables. 2 storeys and attics, moulded eaves cornice; cellars beneath chamfered plinth; mullioned windows to cellar with cross-windows to front and rear gables; right gable has 3-light mullioned and transomed windows to ground and first floors and cross-window to attic; front gable: double-chamfered cross-windows to left and right of door on both floors with one in centre to attic; four-centred arched -doorway, approached by flight of 5 steps, has enriched spandrels and moulded label, nail-studded door with scrolled strap hinges, original knocker and lock; 2-storey canted bay to left gable with 7-light mullioned and transomed windows on each floor probably a later C17 addition; brick segmental-headed doorway to rear gable (left side) and flat-headed doorway to left gable (rear side), latter converted from mullioned window lighting cellar; prominent central ridge stack with 10 attached octagonal brick shafts now roughcast. C19 addition has apparently C17 mullioned and cross-windows, presumably moved out from rear and right gables when addition was built. Interior: mid-C17 oak rectangular panelling in main ground- and first-floor rooms, some with decorative carving; moulded stone fireplace with four-centred arch to ground-floor room of left gable, fireplace to other side of stack (in centre of house) infilled but has richly carved Jacobean overmantel with grotesque human figures; date "D/RM/1656" on overmantel to fireplace in main first-floor room; open-well staircase rising from ground floor to attic looks C19 but is probably in position of original staircase; several C17 plank doors with C19 cast-iron grates to some of the fireplaces. B.O.E. pp. 146-7: Trans. Salop. Arch. Soc. Vol. LVI, Pt. III (1960) pp. 295-307.

Listing NGR: SJ2808730246

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 146-7
'Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society' in Part 3, , Vol. 56, (1960), 295-307

National Grid Reference: SJ 28083 30246

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 02:01:38.