List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1367257

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH STREET
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, KNIGHTON ROAD
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, VICARAGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityClun

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jun-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257178

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 3080-3180 CLUN C.P. CHURCH STREET (South side)

15/82 Church of St. George 21.3.68.

GV II*

Parish church. C12 core with additions of the C13 and C14; C17 alterations, general restoration and additions in 1877 by G.E. Street. Coursed limestone and sandstone rubble with tile patching in tower, and roughly squared limestone dressings; C19 work of squared and snecked limestone with ashlar dressings; graded stone slate roofs, separately over nave and North aisle, with lean- to South aisle. 4-bay nave, C13 North aisle, South aisle with clerestory, rebuilt in a neo-Norman style in 1877, lancet style 2- bay chancel of 1877, C14 North porch remodelled in C17 and C19, and squat square west tower remodelled in Cl7. Tower: 4 stages, 3 externally; clasping West buttresses up to second stage (that to North-west encasing newel staircase), two C18 and C19 buttresses to North and South with off-sets, string course; probably Cl7 plain- tiled double-pyramidal roof, top stage separated from bottom by shaped balusters with louvres between and surmounted by lead-sheathed globe finial and weathervane; twin-lancet belfry openings, third stage West lancet and second stage chamfered round-arched window; large round-arched recessed West doorway with C19 boarded door, impost blocks, and hoodmould with weathered carved stops and probably re-set weathered carved head at apex, inscription above door "ISAAC MORGAN THOMAS POWIS CHURCHWARDENS (sic) 1666". North aisle: 4 bays to left of porch with lancets and C19 buttresses; chamfered-arched boarded doorway in second bay from left with capitals, dogtooth- enriched hoodmould with carved stops and reset carved head in wall above (left-jamb dated "HB RB 1658"); cinquefoil-arched tomb recess to left of door with ball flower enriched hoodmould; C12 doorway to right with C19 boarded doors, 2 orders with roll-moulded jambs and carved capitals, moulded round-arch and hoodmould with carved stops. North porch: entrance with double-chamfered segmental arch dying into responds, first floor window with 2 trefoiled lights, and planted timbers in gable-end with flagpole; left-hand return front with projection for internal staircase and C19 lancet; right- hand return front with C19 first floor square-headed 2-light window. North aisle and clerestory: 6 bays; round-arched windows, those in clerestory above aisle buttresses; doorway in second bay from left with boarded door, one order of shafts with scalloped capitals, and round arch with roll moulding and chevron decoration; round-arched windows at East and West ends of aisle. Chancel: 2 bays with lancets; low clasping buttresses to East and triple-stepped East lancets under continuous hoodmould with carved stops. Interior: 4 bay North and

SO 3080-3180 CLUN C.P. CHURCH STREET (South side)

Church of St. George (Continued)

South aisle arcades with circular piers, scalloped capitals, slightly- pointed recessed arches with roll moulding to inner arch, chevron decoration and continuous hoodmould to nave face; North-east arch with square respond and simple impost moulding to East, capital to South-west pier with small carved heads at corners, pointed tower- arch with simple imposts, round-arched window to tower above; Chancel with 1877 sedilia and piscina, and moulded-arched North doorway; continuous 14-bay roof over nave and chancel with double purlins, arch- bracing to collars, cusped V-struts, cusped wind braces forming quatrefoils, ceilure over altar, and carved winged-angels to wall plate; probably re-sited C12 organ arch to South-west; North aisle with 10 bay roof as nave. Fittings include: circa 1877 reredos, canopied stalls, 1910 chancel screen, and North chapel screen; C14 font heavily restored in 1877, with 8 columns supporting octagonal bowl and canopy; C17 octagonal wooden pulpit, with high backplate and tester with pendant finials; re-used Cl7 panelling in North aisle chapel with guilloche, lozenge and other decoration; possibly Cl7 carved Coat of Arms in wall to right of North-aisle chapel reredos with brass plaque above to Robert Howard of 1653; various late C18 and early C19 commemorative tablets on West wall of nave; Cl7 staircases in tower with flat circular finials to square newel posts. Cranage, Vol. 5, pp. 432-444; B.O.E. pp. 107-8.

Listing NGR: SO3004180554

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 432-444
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 107-8

National Grid Reference: SO 30041 80554

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 01:44:58.