List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1367199

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityNorbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256876

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 39 SE NORBURY C.P. NORBURY

7/31 Church of All Saints

21.3.68

GV II

Parish church. Late C13 west tower; nave of 1879-80 and chancel of 1892-3, both by Henry Curzon. Rubblestone walls, machine tiled roofs and oak shingles to spire. Nave and chancel in one, west tower with spire, south porch and organ chamber to north of chancel. Late C13 tower with pronounced batter and massive walls has narrow rectangular slits with rough shouldered scoinsons on north, south and west faces, a thin string course at the belfry stage and weathered trefoil headed apertures above; broached spire with weathercock added in 1880. Nave of 4 bays with single lancets and paired cusped windows; continuous chancel of 2 bays has broad cinquefoil headed windows to north and south, East window of triple lancets under a continuous hoodmould with sunken quatrefoil panels beneath; a gable (lit by 3 cinquefoil headed windows) protrudes through the roof slope above the lean-to organ chamber on the north side. Timber south porch on low stone walls (1880) covers the good south door, nail studded with 2 strap hinges ending in fleur-de-lys points, which extend the whole width of the door (?C17); the doorframe itself is probably C18 with C18 panelling above. Interior. Tower arch probably early C14, the late C19 panelled roof (the panels themselves are now painted) probably uses some old timbering (also see the old beam above the chancel screen, where the roof takes the form of a cellure), arch braced roof to chancel (1892); the chancel screen itself is late C19 and has a built-in pulpit, all the other fittings are also late C19, although some earlier wooden panelling may be re-used. The possibly early C14 octagonal font (one side of which is ornamented with a rosette inside a circle) retains its original square stem and raised circular plinth; late C19 stained glass in East window, C17 oak chest and C18 coat of arms in tower. A small brass plate on the north wall of the nave commemorates Mrs Mary Betton (died 1763). Until 1894 Norbury was a dependent chapelry of Lydbury North and in 1521 there is a record that it was dedicated to St Ethelbert. B.O.E. p.219; Cranage Vol.5, Pp.422-3.

Listing NGR: SO3640492835

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 422-3
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 219

National Grid Reference: SO 36404 92835

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 07:34:56.