List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1367186

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, BRAMPTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBishop's Castle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 256914

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 3288 BISHOP'S CASTLE C.P. BRAMPTON ROAD (south side)

12/8 Church of St. John - The Baptist 28/7/50 GV II*

Parish church. Mediaeval tower mostly rebuilt in C17, rest of 1860 by T Nicholson of Hereford. Coursed limestone rubble tower with ashlar dressings and pyramidal slate cap; rest of squared and coursed limestone with ashlar dressings, and slate roof with ridge cresting. Squat square Gothic survival West tower; 5-bay nave with lean-to aisles, lower pentagonal-apsed chancel, transeptal chapels, North porch, and North and South vestries, in a Decorated Gothic style. Tower: 2 stages; plinth, string courses, coped battlemented parapet, weathervane and flag pole. 2-light bell chamber openings to north and south, that to north with trefoil-headed lights and returned square hoodmould; stair projection to south-east with 4-rectangular lights. Chamfered 4-centred arched bell chamber opening to west, first stage 4-centred 3-light diamond- leaded west window, early C18 door below with 6-raised and fielded panels, and bracketed, moulded, flat hood with 2-panelled soffit. Octagonal clock dated 1847 and red line for fives game on first stage to north. 1860 church with plinth, cill string, trefoil-gabled angle buttresses and parapeted gable-ends; octagonal stone stack to south transeptal chapel. Nave and aisles: cinquefoiled circular windows; 2-light aisle windows with decorated tracery and hoodmoulds with carved stops. Gabled North porch in second bay from west; entrance has half-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals and moulded arch with ballflower ornament, trefoil-arched niche in gable above, and cill string carried over as hoodmould. Side windows with 4 cinquefoil-headed lights; north doorway has one order of shafts with bell capitals and moulded arch, hoodmould with carved stops, and 2 boarded doors, with elaborate ironwork; side benches within porch. Transeptal chapels: large windows in gable-ends with 4 ogee-headed lights, and intersecting tracery; and hoodmoulds with carved stops; cinquefoil-headed boarded west door to south transeptal chapel. Chancel: tall 2-light windows with hoodmoulds and carved stops; ballflower-ornamented corbel table. Lean-to vestries to north and south with diagonal buttresses and 2 cinquefoil-headed windows flanking central moulded-arched boarded doors. Interior: single framed roofs; 4 bay nave arcades with fifth arch to transeptal chapels at east, clustered columns with bell capitals, and double chamfered arches; chamfered arches at east end of aisles with carved-head corbels; chamfered arches at east end of transeptal chapels into vestry and organ chamber; 2-bay chancel arcades to north and south with clustered central columns, double chamfered arches and hoodmoulds with carved stops; cill string around apse with carved end stops; triple sedilia with marble columns, trefoiled ogee arches and hoodmould with carved stops, chamfered arched piscina, and chamfered-arched tomb recess to north of altar. Fittings include: C12 tub font with C17. octagonal wooden cover; circa 1860 octagonal stone font with moulded base, step, ballflower ornamented bowl with foiled sides, and carved heads around rim; circa 1860 octagonal pulpit with moulded base, 2-light pierced ogee-panelled sides, ballflower ornament, and steps to north with wrought iron rail; probably C18 parish chest. Stained glass: circa 1860 in apse; circa 1850 in north aisle north window; south aisle with 2 windows of 1863 and one of 1887 by Swain and Bourne or Birmingham. Monuments: series of late- C18 and early-C19 wall tablet in north and south transeptal chapels; decayed demi-figure of an Elizabethan Devine on west wall of south transept and associated brass plaque on south wall. q.v. Wall and gateway to south of church and The Vicarage. Crana e, Part 5, pp.378-80; B.O.E., pp.75-6.

Listing NGR: SO3230088418

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 378-80
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 75-6

National Grid Reference: SO 32300 88418

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 01:41:10.