List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1367130

Location

MANOR HOUSE, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityAshby St. Ledgers

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360901

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for ASHBY ST LEDGERS MAIN STREET (East side) 17/7 Manor House

The description shall be amended as follows:

In line 39 delete the following sentences:

'Interior not inspected but noted by C Hussey as having C17 panelling including a room with a carved overmantel and a mid C17 staircase. The Stone Hall of 1909 which has an open timber roof, was divided horizontally in 1969.'

The following shall be added at the end of the description:

Interior: The C16 house is a 3-room, cross-passage plan. Hall (screen removed) with contemporary wall panelling that continues as an overmantel to the stone fireplace (moulded with high-set stops). To either end of this range are open well stairs, C17, turned balusters and ball finials and pendants to newels. Many rooms with panelling, some in situ, some brought in at the time of Lutyens's alterations (one with good pedimented doorcases). Tapestry room with moulded stone door surrounds and large fireplace, with attached columns and entablature to overmantel, and niches to sides.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ASHBY ST.LEDGERS MAIN STREET SP5768 (East side) 17/7 Manor House 18/9/53 (Formerly listed as Ashby St. Ledgers House)

GV II*

Manor House. C15-C17. Remodelled and enlarged 1904-38 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Ivor Guest, second Lord Wimborne. Alterations in 1968-9 by Jellicoe and Coleridge. The original domestic buildings consisted of three groups around a courtyard. The dwelling house on the west side; a range to the north, originally separate, now linked to the main house by C20 additions forming an L-shaped block; and a group on the south side consisting of stables (q.v.) gatehouse (q.v.) and dovecote (q.v.). The east side of the courtyard is enclosed by walls and a gateway with ornamental piers (q.v.). Dwelling house, C16 and C17. Datestone 1652 on south side records a remodelling begun but not completed by. John Ianson, died 1657. The symmetrical garden front was formed in 1909 by Lutyens who added a suite of rooms across the east front with central and north-east projections in Jacobean style to balance Ianson's south-east wing. Main block is therefore now double-pile E-plan. Coursed squared ironstone, ashlar quoins, tile roof, stone stacks. West front to courtyard, 2 storeys and attic; 5 bays. Central doorway with flat-arched moulded wood frame and old studded plank door, Regularly spaced stone mullioned windows have 3 arched lights with cut spandrels and square hoods. 3 gabled dormers with 3-light stone-mullioned windows. Coped gable ends with ball finials. Square staircase tower with balustraded parapet which, on south side links with south-east wing of 1652 which has a shaped gable. An imported late medieval half timber house (q.v.) was attached to the north side in the early C20. On the north side, the Stone Hall, added by Lutyens in 1909-10, is the full height of the main block with a similar shaped gable. Projecting forward from the Stone Hall is a one storey range in ironstone by Lutyens. This is the Dining Roan, 1904 (now kitchen), with a bay window added in 1938 and an extension to the Dining Room of 1924, in minimal Tudor style with cubic shapes and a large canted bay window. This range ends with a small courtyard divided from the main courtyard by gates and ornamental stone piers. The entrance and exit have semi-circular flights of steps forming a circular landing. At the rear, a carriageway spanned by a half timbered corridor connecting with the north range. North range, C17, once a separate dwelling, was converted in the early C20 to form servants rooms and nurseries. Ironstone ashlar, tile roof, stone stacks, 2 storeys and attic, 4 bays. Doorway in second bay from right has chamfered stone frame and plank door. 3-light stone-mullioned window with flat moulded hood to right. Similar window to left. 2-light stone-mullioned window in second bay from left and C18-C19 stone arched carriage entrance in left bay. 3-light stone-mullioned windows to first floor, except for similar 2-light window in second bay from left. Gabled dormers with 3-light stone-mullioned windows. Coped gable ends with ball finials. Interior not inspected but noted by C. Hussey as having C17 panelling including a room with a carved overmantel and a mid C17 staircase. The Stone Hall of 1909 which has an open timber roof, was divided horizontally in 1969. A service wing by Lutyens north of the house was demolished in 1968. The Manor passed to the Catesby family by marriage in the C14. William Catesby who died c.1472, is buried in the church. His son, William, was the Chancellor of the Exchequer to Richard III. Robert Catesby in 1604 financed the schemes for Guy Fawkes. In 1612 the manor passed to Bryan L'anson, a London draper and in 1703 was purchased by Joseph Ashley, also a draper. In 1903 it passed to Ivor Guest, later second Lord Wimborne. (C. Hussey: Ashby St. Ledgers; Country Life 1951, p.274ff, 348ff, 420ff, 496ff; L. Weaver: Houses and Gardens by E.L. Lutyens, 1913, p.158ff; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.90-93).

Listing NGR: SP5733668289

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 90-93
Weaver, L, Houses and Gardens by Sir Edwin Lutyens RA, (1913), 158
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1951), 274, 348
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1951), 420, 496
Other
Part 30 Northamptonshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 57336 68289

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 09:31:18.