List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List entry Number: 1367013

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityClungunford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257623

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLUNGUNFORD C.P. CLUNGUNFORD SO 37 NE 8/118 Church of St. Cuthbert 21.3.68 GV II*

Parish Church. Circa 1300, restored 1895 and north-west tower added by E.Turner of Leicester. Coursed and squared limestone and sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings; plain tile roofs. North- west tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, 3-bay chancel with north chapel. Tower: 4 stages on basement, with angle buttresses, stepped plinth, belfry string and crenellated parapet. The first stage has a 3-light pointed window to the north with intersecting tracery, and windows to the east and west with 2 pointed lights and a circle in the head. Above these are lancets. Pointed belfry lights with Y-tracery flanked by blind lancet arcading. Nave and chancel. Pointed west door and 3-light pointed window above; the outer lights are acutely pointed, the inner light simply extends up to the soffit of the main arch. Pointed windows to north and south each of 2-cinquefoil headed lights with a circle in the head containing a saltire cross, each of the four compartments contains a trefoil. South porch of 1895. Gabled timber framed superstructure. South door of circa 1300. North chapel has paired lancets to north and west. East window similar to west window of nave. Interior. Pointed chancel arch with 2 seqment-moulded orders. Nave and chancel roofs reported to be C14 but are hidden by boarded ceilings of seqmental pointed section. Windows of nave and chancel have segmental pointed rere-arches. Priscina with trefoiled-arch recessed beneath 2 sunk chamfered orders and a returned hood mould. Behind the altar are 2 retangular aumbries rebated for doors. Fittings. Mid-C19Wenlock marble font, octagonal. Late C19 octagonal wooden pulpit. Stalls incorporate fragments of C17 woodwork. Hinged oak chest, probably C16. Sculpture. In the south-east corner of the nave is a C14 stone tablet carved with an heraldic badge, comprising a beast carrying a banner. Monuments. Francis Walker, died 1776; elaborate marble tablet with obelisk and urn. John Edwards, died 1724; aedicular tablet with broken pediment containing coat of arms, angel head at base. Brasses: William Freeman, died 1671. Susanna Evans, died 1767 with wooden lugged frame. Olivia and The Reverend Thomas Evans, died 1761 and 1762, wood aedicular surround with Corinthian pilasters and scrolled pediment with urn in centre, volutes to sides. Blanch Pryce, died 1758, lugged and pedimented surround. Stained glass. East window of area 1891. North-east window of nave, 1949. B.o.E. p. 110. The Reverend D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, part 5 (1901), pp. 389-394.

Listing NGR: SO3948778733

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , The Churches of Shrewsbury, (1901), 389-394
Cranage, DHS , The Churches of Shrewsbury, (1894-1908)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 110

National Grid Reference: SO 39487 78733

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 03:17:20.