List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WALLEYBOURNE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1366962

Location

WALLEYBOURNE FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityChurch Pulverbatch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259317

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 40 SW CHURCH PULVERBATCH C.P. -

8/16 Walleybourne Farmhouse -

- II*

Manor house, now farmhouse. Circa 1400, re-modelled in C16 and c.1700 with later additions and alterations. Red brick concealing timber frame, plain tile roofs. Open hall of 3 or 4 bays with stack inserted in north wall and cross-wing added to west end in C16; hall floored over c.1700; eaves raised and house encased in brick in late C18 or early C19. Two storeys, dentilled eaves cornice; one glazing bar sash with segmental head to each floor on cross-wing and one 3-light casement on each floor to left of entrance in hall range; further small casement on first floor in angle between hall and cross-wing and a glazing bar sash window at junction between hall and single- storey lean-to on right; plain boarded door has C20 pedimented doorcase over; main stack roughly to centre of hall range behind ridge with additional stack at junction between hall and cross-wing and end stack to right. Interior: 3 base cruck trusses of arch-braced collar beam construction, 2 of them (including the spere truss at east end) ornamented with delicate cusping at the apex; one of the door heads of the screens passage is still in position and the close studding on the north wall is probably C16; chamfered ceiling beams throughout on ground floor. The house was formerly surrounded by a moat. V.C.H. VIII (1968), p.132 and plate opposite p.111.

Listing NGR: SJ4259504470

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1968), 132

National Grid Reference: SJ 42595 04470

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 01:53:55.