List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

List entry Number: 1366947

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityPimhill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259144

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOMERE HEATH C.P. FITZ SJ 41 NW 5/83 Church of Saint Peter 13.6.58 and Saint Paul

GV II*

Parish church. Circa 1722, restored 1878-9, at the expense of Mrs Carew of Mytton Hall and Richard Middleton of Fitz Manor. Chancel rebuilt, organ chamber and vestry added and interior remodelled in 1905 by Sir Aston Webb, at the expense of Sir Offley Wakeman. Red brick with yellow/ grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. 3-bay nave with 2-bay south aisle and west tower, and 2-bay chancel with one-bay organ chamber and vestry to south. 1905 work in a free early C18 style. Tower: 3 stages. Plinth with moulded stone top, chamfered stone quoins, stone floor bands, moulded stone cornice and parapet with stone coping, ramped up to corners with tapered square ashlar obelisks. Louvred round- arched belfry openings, each with curved Y-tracery and moulded architrave with impost blocks and triple keystone. Round-arched west window to second stage with curved Y-tracery and moulded architrave with impost blocks and triple keystone. Louvred keyed oculi with moulded architraves, high up in second stage to north and south. Round-arched west doorway with pair of 6-panelled doors, and moulded architrave with impost blocks and triple keystone. Round-arched doorways to north and south, each with moulded architrave, impost blocks and triple keystone, that to north with 5-panelled door (top glazed) and that to south has C18 door with 8 raised and fielded panels (top 4 glazed). Stone memorial tablet to left of south door (illegible at the time of survey - January 1987). Nave: red sandstone plinth with moulded grey sandstone top, chamfered stone quoins, stone band above windows, moulded stone eaves cornice (breaking forward over windows), and parapeted gable ends, C18 to left with shaped stone kneelers and moulded stone cornice, and that to east rebuilt in 1905, with plain coping. Round-arched windows, each with moulded cill, moulded architrave, impost mouldings and triple keystone, flush with band above. West end with floor band of tower carried round, band above nave window carried round and moulded cornice, broken forward over quoins. Small round-arched window to north-west with moulded cill, moulded architrave, impost mouldings and triple keystone. Small lean-to addition to south- west has door with 6 raised and fielded panels (top 2 glazed). Chancel: moulded ashlar plinth, raking ashlar buttresses with moulded plinths and scrolled tops, flush stone cill and impost bands, parapet with flush stone geometrical patterns and moulded stone coping, and parapeted gable end to west with moulded stone coping and cross at apex. Round-arched windows, paired in western bay to north, each with Gibbs surround, shaped apron, and shaped keystones with moulded tops; 1905 glazing with circle-in-lattice motif. East end: Venetian window with bracketed moulded cill, Tuscan antae, frieze and moulded cornice, and central arch with Gibbs surround including hollow moulding, shaped keystone and three-quarter Tuscan columns, dying into wall at rear. Flush stone bands in apex of gable above and hollow-chamfered keyed oculus. Cast-iron down pipes and cast-iron rain- water heads, superscribed: "LAVS:DEO". South aisle and organ chamber/ vestry: 3 gables, vestry to right and 2-bay south aisle to left. Vestry with flush stone quoins, raised stone eaves and parapeted gable with stone coping. Round-arched doorway with small-paned half-glazed door, radial fanlight, moulded architrave with blocked rustication (square jambs at base of arch) and keystone. Right-hand return front with flush keyed oculus and pair of old memorial tablets reset in wall, one to Sarah Anne Withers (d. 1865) and one to William Withers (d.1814) and John Withers (d.1811). South aisle to left; parapeted gables with stone coping and shaped kneeler to left. Round-arched windows, each with moulded cill, moulded architrave, impost mouldings and triple keystone. Circa 1905 door to right, with 2 panels (the upper one with shaped head) and hollow- chamfered reveals with flush blocks. Blocked round-arched doorway to left. Cast-iron downpipes from valley gutters. Interior: C18, remodelled in 1905. Porch beneath tower: C18 door with 6 raised and fielded panels to lobby of former south doorway (now cupboard). Nave: moulded cornice with coving to central large recessed rectangular panel. Chancel: barrel- vaulted ceiling; large shouldered moulded round chancel arch and transverse arch, with triple keystones. Moulded cill string, carried over hollow- chamfered organ-chamber arch to south as shouldered moulded architrave. Windows with moulded imposts and keystone paired window to north divided by central pilaster. East Venetian window with three-quarter Tuscan columns, antae, pulvinated frieze and cornice. South aisle: 2 beaded elliptical arches with moulded imposts to left and right; 2 transverse elliptical-arched barrel vaults, supported by cast-iron column at division. Fittings: mainly of 1905 by Sir Aston Webb, but with some reused earlier items. C18 west gallery with attenuated cast-iron columns supporting frieze and cornice, and front with raised and fielded panels and cornice, and ramped up to dies at end end with raised and fielded panels. Central painted royal coat of arms. Painted inscriptions, to frieze: "FEAR GOD / HONOUR THY KING / LOVE AS BRETHREN" and to 4 panels: "REVERENCE / MY / SANTCUARY", "THOU / SHALT WORSHIP / THE LORD THY / GOD", "AND / HIM ONLY / SHALT THOU / SERVE", and "TAKE HEED / HOW / YE HEAR". Coving beneath gallery with barrel vault to west door. Pews of 1905 with ends carved by Waldegrave Brewster, rector from 1901, and wrought-iron candelabra. Dado panelling, probably reused box pews; some raised and fielded panelling at rear. Fine 5-bay chancel screen of 1905, by Webb, consisting of panelled stone base, second and fifth bays projecting as pulpit and lectern with crosses to front, round-arched oak arcade above with panelled pilasters, moulded arches with pierced spandrels and keys (wider central arch with pierced pendants), and frieze and cornice, breaking forward over second and fifth bays, with painted inscription: "HAVING THEREFORE / BOLDNESS TO ENTER / INTO THE HOLIEST BY THE BLOOD / OF JESUS LET US DRAW / NEAR WITH A TRUE HEART". Section of C18 shaped-head raised and fielded panelling to right of screen, probably reused from former C17 pulpit (see old photo- graph in vestry). Panelled sanctuary, the upper panels with bolection moulding. Small, projecting shaped stone table to right with single carved scrolled bracket. Pair of free-standing wrought-iron candelabra. Plain wooden altar rails with panelled dies and moulded rail. Choir stalls with panelled backs, pierced sides and arcaded frontals with pilasters, and panels below. Oak screens to organ chamber/vestry with tall turned balusters. Octagonal stone font in eastern bay of aisle with step, stem with moulded base, plain bowl with carved cross, and plain wooden cover with carved cross, and plain wooden cover with central urn-shaped finial. Probably late C19 wooden lectern consisting of tapered octagonal stem, octagonal base, and reeded wedge-shaped top. Various pews in south aisle, some with brass name-plates, and some reused panelling to south wall, also with brass name plates (probably from former pews). Reset C12 carved stone capital in south wall, now a piscina with square bowl. West door of 1905 with 2-panels, the upper one with shaped head. Probably early C19 Gothic octagonal stone font in porch, with panelled stem, moulded bowl with fleurons, and plain oak cover with urn-shaped finial. Former gas lamps in nave, now electric. Tiled floor to nave, 2 steps up to chancel with black and white stone and marble floor, and 2 steps up to sanctuary with marble floor. Stained glass: east window in a Holbein Renaissance style by W.E. Tower in memory of Edward O.R. Wakeman (d.16 May 1915). Further glass in 2 windows of nave. Various C18 and early C19 memorial tablets. Old photographs in vestry, showing church before 1905 alterations, with C18 apse and C18 fittings, including box pews and pulpit. There has been a church on this site since the C12 (see reused C12 capital). In 1721 a brief for £1,509 was issued for the building of a new church at Fitz. The builders of the 1905 work were Messrs. Bridge- man of Lichfield. This is a fine and well-detailed example of a C18 church, made more interesting by Sir Aston Webb's additions in a free early C18 style. Aston Webb was the architect of Yeaton Peverey (q.v.), Sir Offley Wakeman's house nearby, built in 1890-2. B.o.E., p. 131; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 9, pp. 756-7; M.N. Ponsford, A History of the Parish Church of ST. Peter and ST. Paul, Fitz (1972); Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1900), pp. 95-6.

Listing NGR: SJ4487717840

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Cranage, DHS - Title: An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire - Date: 1908 - Volume: 9 - Page References: 756-757
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ponsford, M N - Title: A History of the Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul Fitz - Date: 1972
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1900 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory - Page References: 95-96
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 131

National Grid Reference: SJ 44877 17840

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2014 at 04:45:23.