List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BERWICK CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1366946

Location

BERWICK CHAPEL, BERWICK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityPimhill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259141

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOMERE HEATH C.P. BERWICK ROAD (west side) SJ 41 SE SJ 4732 1482 10/80 Berwick Chapel 13.6.58 GV II*

Chapel. Dated 1670, built at the expense of Sir Samuel Jones; tower added, part of south wall rebuilt and porch probably added in 1735, for Thomas Powys, and chancel, transepts and vestry added in 1892-4 by Mr. Walker, at the expense of Mr. J. Watson. Grey sandstone ashlar with plain tile roofs. Nave with south porch, west tower, chancel, transepts with west porches, and north-east vestry. 1892-4 work in a C17 revival style. Tower: 4 stages. Corner pilaster strips, chamfered plinth, floor bands, frieze and cornice to third stage, and cornice to plain parapet with coping and tall urns at corners. Pyramidal cap with weather- vane. Round-arched openings with plain architraves, cills, impost blocks and keystones; louvres to second stage and belfry. Keyed oculi in second stage to north and south. Round-arched doorways to south and west, with plain architraves, impost blocks and keystones; that to west has formerly-arched late C17 door with decorative panelling (probably former south door) and that to south is blocked except for fanlight. Nave: chamfered plinth, moulded stone eaves cornice, and parapeted gable ends with moulded copings, that to east of 1892-4 with obelisks at feet and cross at apex. South side: C17 double-chamfered rectangular window to right (minus mullion and transom) and C18 round-arched window to left with plain architrave, cill, impost blocks and keystone; probably c.1735 porch off-centre to left with pair of unfluted Doric pilasters supporting short sections of entablature with triglyph frieze, and continuous moulded cornice, breaking forward over pilasters, to flat lead roof. Round-arched doorway with moulded architrave, moulded imposts and keystone; now blocked except for fanlight with C18 wrought ironwork. North side: raking buttress to left. Pair of double-chamfered stone cross windows. Small semi-circular window to right, lighting gallery, and plain oeil-de-boeuf beneath. Chancel and transepts: chamfered plinth, moulded cill string course, moulded stone eaves cornice, carried around gable ends as impost moulding, and parapeted gable ends with moulded copings, obelisks at feet and crosses at apices. Chancel: round-arched south window of 2 trefoil- headed lights and pilastered surround with bracketed cill and moulded architrave. Large round-arched east window of 3 stepped trefoil-headed lights with radial trefoil-ended tracery, and pilastered surround with bracketed cill and moulded architrave; keyed elliptical oculus in gable. South transept has round-arched window of 3 stepped trefoil-headed lights with radial trefoil-ended tracery, moulded architrave, and keyed ellip- tical oculus in gable above. Lean-to porch in angle to left with chamfered Tudor-arched boarded door and 2-light double-chamfered window with moulded cill to west. North transept has round-arched window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with moulded architrave, and keyed elliptical oculus in gable above. Integral stone corner stack with moulded cornice. Chamfered-arched basement door. Lean-to porch in angle to right with chamfered-arched boarded door. Vestry with chamfered-arched boarded basement doorway and 2-light chamfered mullioned window with moulded cill to east. Interior: nave with C18 raised and fielded panelling, C19 moulded cornice, and plastered barrel-vaulted roof. C18 west gallery with 2 panelled square piers supporting frieze and cornice with panelled soffit, 3-bay front with raised and fielded panels and panelled dies, and moulded cornice to top; raked seating. Round archway between gallery and ringing chamber. C19 cast-iron spiral staircase in tower, up to ringing chamber. Former south porch with raised and fielded panelling, dated 1700 (?). Former south door in wall of house with moulded round archway, C18 door with 8 raised and fielded panels (probably former door to porch or tower) and dated shield above: "16/80". Blocked porch doorway with moulded imposts. Large C19 round chancel arch with double moulded architrave and panelled jambs with fluted imposts and egg and dart ornament. Panelled chancel and south transept, with egg and dart ornament to dentil cornice. East end wholly panelled with continuous cornice; some panels carved with heraldic devices. Round arches to transepts with fluted imposts. Barrel-vaulted ceiling consisting of moulded ribs with painted shields at intersections. Fittings: late C17, early C18 and c .1892-4, many probably by Stevens. C19 wrought-iron altar rails (said to be C18) with ornamental panels, stanchions and plain moulded wooden rail. C19 choir stalls. C19 wrought-iron lamp fittings. C19 organ in north transept with pilasters supporting sections of entablature. C19 eagle lectern. Late C17 hexagonal wooden pulpit with corner Ionic colonnettes, and C19 steps and brass reading desk. C18 box pews with raised and fielded panels and H-hinges. C19 octagonal stone font beneath tower with 4 marble colonnettes. Rear of late C17 west door with moulded rails, wrought-iron strap hinges, and old lock. Two hatchments on wall of nave and 4 hatchments in ringing chamber. C18 black and white stone floor to nave and encaustic tiles to chancel. C19 stained glass, mainly in eastern additions. Monuments: tablet to Thomas Jelf Powys Esq. of Berwick (d.28 March 1805) with sarcophogus; tablet to two Powys daughters who died young in 1814 and 1818 (by Chantrey), relief of two mourning women in front of a sarcophogus; free-standing figure of a small child reading a book, on circular pedestal. Carved stone shield set in north of nave. Brass plaque on chancel arch inscribed: "THIS CHANCEL,/ VESTRY, PORCHES, AND/ ORGAN WERE ERECTED BY / JAMES WATSON, ESQ, 1892-4". There was a chapel at Berwick in the C13 but its exact location is not known. The chapel stands in the parkland around Berwick House (q.v.), near to almshouses (q.v.) also built at the expense of Sir Samuel Jones. B.O.E., pp. 73-4; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of The Churches of Shropshire (Shrewsbury Volume), pp. 847-8.

Listing NGR: SJ4732314823

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Cranage, DHS - Title: An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire - Date: 1908 - Page References: 847-848
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 73-74

National Grid Reference: SJ 47323 14823

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 01:20:12.