List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER OFFICE RANGE, CORNER PAVILIONS, GATEHOUSE AND ENCLOSING WALLS TO OUTER SERVICE COURTYARD ADJOINING ATTINGHAM PARK TO NORTH-WEST

List entry Number: 1366931

Location

FORMER OFFICE RANGE, CORNER PAVILIONS, GATEHOUSE AND ENCLOSING WALLS TO OUTER SERVICE COURTYARD ADJOINING ATTINGHAM PARK TO NORTH-WEST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAtcham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Feb-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259255

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 50 NW and SJ 50 NE ATCHAM C.P. ATTINGHAM PARK

5/29 and 6/29 Former office range, corner 29.1.52 pavilions, gatehouse and enclosing walls to outer service courtyard adjoining Attingham Park to north-west (Formerly listed as Attingham GV II* Park)

Service courtyard including office range, corner pavilions, gatehouse, and enclosing walls. 1783-5, by George Steuart for the first Lord Berwick. Rectangular courtyard with former office range to south-east, square pavilions in north-east and north-west corners, and gatehouse in centre of north-west wall. Office range: red brick with grey Grinshill sandstone ashlar dressings and facing to ground floor of centre block; slate roofs. Central block with set-back lower wings. 2 storeys. Central block: plinth, first-floor cill band, frieze and moulded cornice, and balustraded parapet. 7 bays; 3:1:3 rhythm with recessed centre; glazing bar sashes, round-arched on first floor with gauged heads and set-back in recessed round arches; segmental- headed carriage entrance with chamfered reveals and pair of boarded doors. Wings: plinth, cill bands, ashlar band above first-floor windows, frieze and moulded cornice, and blocking course. 6 bays; glazing bar sashes; 6 flush-panelled doors with 3-part rectangular overlight, in left- and right- hand bays of right-hand range and in third and fifth bays from right in left- hand range. Pavilions: grey Grinshill sandstone ashlar with some red brick onto courtyard; pyramidal slate roofs. One storey. Each pavilion has a plinth, cill band onto courtyard, fluted and moulded impost band, frieze and moulded cornice, and blocking course. Projecting corner piers and central blind-arched recesses to park front; north-east pavilion with flanking paired Ionic pilasters supporting short sections of entablature. Former kennels to north-west and outbuilding to east adjoining pavilions within the courtyard; red brick with ashlar dressings; stone cill and impost bands, and stone-coped parapet; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads; panelled doors set back in outer brick bays within recessed gauged- brick blind arches. Gatehouse: Grinshill sandstone ashlar. 2 storeys. Channelled-rusticated ground floor, string course; frieze and moulded cornice, and blocking course; circular cupola with 8 Tuscan columns supporting entablature and lead dome. 3 bays; 1:1:1 rhythm with central projection. First-floor blind square panels flanking central clock; ground-floor glazing bar sashes; central round-arched carriage entrance to groin-vaulted passage. Walls: red brick with ashlar dressings and facing to park. Approximately 4 metres high. Plinth and coping, ramped up towards house.



Listing NGR: SJ5493909955

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 54939 09955

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 05:05:56.