List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ASTLEY HOUSE WITH ADJOINING SCREEN WALL AND COACH HOUSE

List entry Number: 1366892

Location

ASTLEY HOUSE WITH ADJOINING SCREEN WALL AND COACH HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAstley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Nov-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259062

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASTLEY C.P. ASTLEY SJ 51 NW 7/4 Astley House with ad- joining screen wall and 29.1.52 coach house (formerly listed as Astley House 13.6.58 and Lodge attached to Astley House)

GV II*

Small country house and adjoining coach house. Circa 1830, probably a remodelling of a late C18 house. Rendered brick on painted sandstone ashlar plinth. Roof of main block not visible, plain tile roof to rear wing. T-plan. Remodelled in a Greek Revival style in the form of a temple. 3 storeys with 2-storey rear wing. Chanelled rustication to ground floor with plinth, cill band to second floor, giant Corinthian order to first and second floors with paired unfluted pilasters, full entablature with moulded dentil cornice, and coped blocking course sloping up to central one-bay section of balustrade. Integral rendered brick end stacks. 1:1:1 bays, with central break; glazing bar sashes, those on first floor with rectangular-panelled aprons and that in centre on first floor with triangular pediment on consoles above. Central half- glazed door with 2 lower flush panels and rectangular overlight, and Doric porch with paired fluted columns (and unfluted pilasters behind) supporting full entablature with blocking course. Gable ends treated as temple fronts with paired pilasters to first and second floors support- ing entablature and triangular pediment. Timber framed conservatory adjoining to left, with brick plinth and gabled roof, curved at eaves; 3 x 5 bays, each with pierced cast-iron spandrels and 3 segmental-headed lights; central pair of half glazed doors in gable end to front. Two- storey service ranges to rear with dentil brick eaves cornices, brick ridge stacks, and boxed glazing bar sashes with painted stone cills and lintels. Screen wall and coach house adjoining to right. Rendered brick with slate roof. Screen with plinth, frieze, moulded cornice and blocking course 3 bays; pair of segmental-arched openings with wrought-iron balustrading and projecting centre with stepped blocking course to finial and gateway with plain pedimented hood above (right- hand arch collapsed at time of survey - January 1987). 2-storey coach house with plinth, entablature, triangular pedimented gables to front and back, integral rendered brick end stack to front and rendered ridge stack to rear. Pair of Doric columns in antis to front (unfluted now but with evidence of former fluting) and central round-arched panel with moulded architrave, continuous cill band,rectangular panelled apron beneath, and raised half-H panel above. 3-bay left-hand return front with pair of tall round-arched panels. Rear with tripartite panels divided by pilaster strips. Right-hand return front with pair of large boarded doors and other openings,but partly collapsed at time of survey. Interior of house: largely complete early C19 fittings and decoration. Entrance hall with acanthus-enriched dentil cornice and central ceiling rose. 3-flight rectangular-well staircase with winders, rising 2 floors. The flights to the first floor appear to have been altered in the later C19, with closed string turned balusters and square newel posts, but the early C19 upper flights remain, consisting of an open string, shaped brackets with guttae end moulded tread ends, stick balusters (2 per tread), columnular newel posts, and ramped handrail. Left-hand ground-floor room: dado rail with plain plaster panels below and plaster panels above with reeded borders, and plaster cornice with bead and reel enrich- ment. Enriched plaster ceiling with husk borders and wreaths at corners. Fireplace with fluted pilasters, frieze with central urn, husk swags and paterae, and cornice with bead and reel enrichment. Right-hand ground-floor room: fireplace has fluted pilasters with masks above, enriched surround and frieze with medallion in centre. 6-panelled doors throughout and reeded architraves with paterae at corners. Double doors to right-hand ground-floor room. B.o.E., p.62.

Listing NGR: SJ5280718640

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 62

National Grid Reference: SJ 52807 18640

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 04:13:42.