List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WHITE ABBEY AND SECTION OF WALL ADJOINING TO EAST

List entry Number: 1366885

Location

WHITE ABBEY AND SECTION OF WALL ADJOINING TO EAST, ABBEY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAlberbury with Cardeston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Mar-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 258915

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 31 NE ALBERBURY WITH ABBEY LANE CARDESTON C.P. 2/10 White Abbey 29.1.52 and section of wall adjoining to east (formerly listed as White Abbey)

- II*

Grandmontine Priory, remains of, now farmhouse. Circa 1225, converted into a house in c.1578 and remodelled in 1857-8. Coursed Alberbury breccia and red sandstone rubble, C19 red brick; C13 red sandstone dressings and C19 grey sandstone dressings; plain tile roof, with 2 parallel gabled wings at rear. The priory consisted of nave and square ended choir with the former chapel of St Stephen of 3 bays to the north and the cloisters to the south; the farmhouse incorporates the central section of the church (minus the east and west ends) and the former chapel of St Stephen; C19 remodelling in a Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys and attic. Chamfered plinth to north and centre of south front, and parapeted gables with chamfered copings and shaped kneelers; two C19 brick ridge stacks to rear, one with 4 square shafts and one with single shaft. West (entrance) front: 3 windows; C19 wooden cross-windows with chamfered reveals and returned hoodmoulds; 1:2:1 canted bay window to right with chamfered stone mullions and plain tile roof; former west doorway to chapel of St Stephen to left with continuous roll moulding and inserted early C19 two-light window with Y-tracery; central 6-panelled door has fanlight with Y-tracery, moulded pointed arch with quatrefoil and mouchette panels in spandrels and returned square hoodmould. Blocked first-floor slit window to internal newel stair at left. The left-hand part of this front is the former west front of the Chapel of St Stephen and the right-hand part is a section through the nave of the former priory church (see straight joints). South (garden) front: 1:2 windows; C19 wooden cross-casements with chamfered reveals and returned hoodmoulds, one-light attic window in gable to left; probable rear-arch to former sacristy door at right has inserted late C18 or early C19 glazing bar sash with intersecting Gothic tracery; former doorway to cloister at left has one order of shafts with stiff-leaf capitals (shafts missing), moulded reveals, triple moulded arch and chamfered inner arch with inserted C19 two-light Gothic window. North front: north side of former chapel; 3 buttresses with chamfered offsets; projecting 2-storey stair tower to right with rounded squinch over angle to left; blocked east window of chapel has one order of shafts with moulded bases and capitals (shafts missing), chamfered reveals and moulded arch. Short piece of rubblestone walling adjoining south front to east is part of the south wall of the former east end of the church; it has some later brick patching and some reused stones (see part of moulded arch). Interior: former Chapel of St Stephen: quadripartite stone vaulting with chamfered ribs springing from shafts with moulded capitals(some shafts missing), carved bosses (that to east with the Agnus Dei, that in the centre with a man's head, and that to west with a man devoured by a winged monster); former east window has nook shafts with moulded capitals, and straight-sided chamfered rear arch; former double piscina with moulded trefoiled-arch and chamfered cill; former south doorway (into nave) has continuously-moulded arch and returned hoodmould; north-east newel stair, probably formerly leading to the space above the vaulting, now to the attic; former chapel with inserted stack and ceiling with chamfered beams, probably of c.1578. Founded by Fulk Fitz Warin III as a house of Arrouaisian Canons and begun between 1221 and 1226.Alberbury Priory was eventually transferred to the Grandmontine Order and became one of only 3 in the country, dependant on the Abbey of Grandmontine in Limousin, France. Along with other alien priories during the French wars Alberbury was siezed by Edward III in 1337. The surviving chantries were eventually suppressed in 1547. The remains of the priory stand in a large moated site by the River Severn. No other buildings survive. The site of the church was excavated in 1925. V.C.H., Vol II, pp. 47-50 and Vol VIII, pp. 198, 200, 206, and 213-4; B.O.E., p. 55; Trans. Salop. Arch. Soc., 4th series, Vol. XI (1928); Archaelogia, Vol. 75 (1926), Colin Platt, The Abbeys and Priories of Medieval England (1984), pp. 24-5.

Listing NGR: SJ3754515222

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 47-50
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 198-214

National Grid Reference: SJ 37545 15222

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:11:42.