List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BENTHALL FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1366881

Location

BENTHALL FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityAlberbury with Cardeston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 258906

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 31 SE ALBERBURY WITH - CARDESTON C.P. 5/1 Benthall Farmhouse -

GV II*

Farmhouse. Dated 1660 with early C18 and C19 alterations and additions. Red brick with dressed red sandstone plinth; hipped slate roof. T-plan with additions to east. 3 storeys. Chamfered stone plinth, plat bands (upper one moulded) and shaped joist ends; external brick end stack to north-east with toothed brick course to set back top stage, external lateral brick stack to south-west with toothed brick course to set back top stage, short pitched-roof link to attic, and external brick end stack to north-west with datestone: 1660 toothed brick course to set back G top stage and short slate-hung T H pitched-roof link to attic. South-east (entrance) front: 2:1 bays (formerly 2:2 bays - see blocked windows to right), projecting wing to left; refenestrated in C18 with segmental-headed windows replaced by straight-headed glazing bar sashes (also some C19 four-pane sashes) with exposed boxes and segmental relieving arches (former C17 window heads); ground-floor 2-light wooden casement to right with segmental relieving arch; blind windows in return of wing; C19 hipped-roof brick and timber porch in angle with half-glazed door and half-glazed panelled front door behind. One-storey wing to right with dentil brick eaves cornice. South-west front. 3:1 bays divided by stack; refenstrated with C18 glazing bar sashes, blackings and other alterations; second-floor 2-light wooden casements, one blocked and second from left blind and rendered; right-hand bay with blind window; probably early C19 door replacing former segmental-headed window in second bay from left with 6 panels (lower 2 flush and top 4 raised),moulded architrave, and lead-covered bracketed flat hood. Probably C18 two-storey addition projecting to left with ground-floor 2-light casement and first-floor glazing bar sash to north, plat band, and probably altered mono-pitch roof. One storey C19 kitchen block in angle at rear with integral brick end stack. Interior: C17 with c.1700 alterations; dining room: C18 raised and fielded panelling with dado rail, moulded cornice, and 6-panelled door; drawing room: C18 fireplace with lugged architrave and moulded cornice, and wainscot panelling; c.1660 dog-leg staircase with closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel post with finial; bedrooms: one with C17 panelling and C18 bolection- moulded fireplace surround; one with C18 bolection-moulded wainscot panelling, fireplace surround, and doors; one with C17 chimney-piece consisting of Ionic colonnettes flanking fireplace, overmantel with pilasters dividing lugged panels, and frieze and moulded cornice; second floor with boarded doors. "G/T.H" are the initials of Thomas Griffiths and his son Henry. It has been suggested (Forrest) that the house was formerly L-shaped with an entrance to the east and that the house was altered to its present condition c.1700 by Henry Biggs when the entrance was moved and a new dining room added with a bedroom over. It is suggested that the apparent similarity in the brickwork is due to the reuse of materials. V.C.H., vol VIII, pp. 191-2; H. E. Forrest, Some old Shropshire houses and their owners,(1924), pp. 47-51.

Listing NGR: SJ3946213965

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 47-51
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 191-2

National Grid Reference: SJ 39462 13965

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 03:29:12.