List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANSION HOUSE

List entry Number: 1366875

Location

MANSION HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityFord

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 258963

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 4013-4113 FORD C.P. FORD

13/58 Mansion House 29.1.52

GV II*

House, latterly farmhouse. Dated 1779 (rainwater head), for Francis Waring; early C17 core with early C18 alterations and additions. Brick with grey sandstone dressings; timber framed core; 2-span slate roof, hipped with graded slates to front. Double-range L-plan; C17 range of 3 framed bays with early C18 wing at rear and parallel 1779 range to front. 2 storeys and 2 storeys and attic. Chamfered stone plinth, first-floor cill band, frieze and moulded cornice, parapet with moulded stone coping, and triangular pediment over centre 3 bays with stone shield and flanking husk festoons in tympanum; pair of brick lateral stacks at rear of front range, brick ridge stack off-centre to left of rear range and integral brick end stack to rear wing. 3:3:3 bays, centre slightly projecting; glazing bar sashes with stone cills and gauged brick heads, central first-floor window with fluted scrolled cill brackets, lugged moulded architrave, and stepped triple keystone with oval paterae; 3 steps up to 6-panelled door (lower flush) with moulded architrave, and doorcase consisting of unfluted three quarter columns with acanthus capitals, fluted frieze with amphorae over columnms, and triangular pediment. 4-bay left-hand return front with blind windows and central C18 downpipe with dated moulded rainwater head; 2-bay right-hand return front with segmental-headed blind windows. Rear gable end has stone-coped parapeted gable-end to right with blind circular window in tympanum and three C17 timber-framed dormers in valley with 2-light leaded casements, moulded architraves and cornices, and triangular pedimented gables. Rear wing with dentilbrick eaves cornice and stone-coped parapeted gable end. Interior: front range with complete late C18 decoration: entrance hall has cantilevered 4-flight square-well staircase with open string, shaped brackets, 2 stick balusters to each tread, turned newel posts, moulded ramped handrail and curtail with columular newel post and wreathed handrail; egg and dart enriched cornices with dentils and alternating paterae on soffit; first-floor ceiling: 2 delicate plaster roses with husk garlands; left-hand ground-floor room: with moulded dado rail, frieze with anthemion and palmette ornament and enriched plaster cornice; fireplace has panelled pilasters with husk garlands, frieze with acanthus and palmette ornament and central urn relief, and moulded cornice with bead and reel enrichment; right-hand ground-floor room: moulded dado rail, fluted frieze and dentil cornice; fireplace has marble surround with husk ornament, fluted frieze with central urn relief, and enriched cornice. Bedrooms with moulded cornices, and fireplaces with friezes and cornices. C18 six-panelled doors with panelled reveals and moulded architraves; panelled window reveals. C17 rear range has roof with collar and tie-beam trusses and pairs of purlins; C17 timber-framed square-panelled cross-walls and chamfered beams with ogee stops; ground floor rear room with C17 panelling with fluted frieze and the first floor at rear has early C18 raised and fielded panelling and doors; former kitchen in left-hand ground-floor rear room has large open fireplace with early C19 surround consisting of panelled sides and moulded cornice, and spit rack above; early C18 kitchen wing at rear has large depressed-arched open fireplace with early C19 surround consisting of Gothic-panelled sides, moulded cornice, and flanking arched recess. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.226; B.O.E., p.131; H. E. Forrest, FLS, Some old Shropshire houses and their owners (1924), pp.58-60.

Listing NGR: SJ4117113850

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 41171 13850

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 10:29:08.