List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1366863

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityChurch Preen

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 258806

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH PREEN C.P. CHURCH PREEN SO 59 NW 7/24 Church of St John the 13.6.58 Baptist GV II*

Parish church, formerly part monastic. Circa 1220-50, restored 1866 with south chapel of c.1920-25. Uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, machine tile roof. Nave and chancel in one with west bell- cote; north porch and vestry, south chancel chapel. Nave: north wall has 2 lancets, one of 1866 to west and an original lancet with transom and low-side window below to east; gabled stone porch to west probably C17 but restored when adjoining vestry was added to west in 1866; south wall has 2 lancets and a pointed doorway to east, all of 1866; west wall also largely re-built at this date, external gabled bellcote with buttresses beneath,forming narrow pointed arch to ground, frames window of 2 paired lancets. Chancel: in 2 bays, original lancets to north and one on south which also has embattled south chapel (now partly roofless) concealing blocked C13 doorway; original east window of 3 lancets, unusually all of same height, and internally under a segmental scoinson arch. Interior: retains original long narrow plan but considerably restored 1866, especially at west end; pointed north door- way renewed at this time and most of the fittings and furnishings are contemporary including continuous trussed rafter roof to nave and chancel; latter has C13 trefoil-headed piscina in south wall and recessed sedile below lancet immediately to west, 2 corbels for statues flank east window, blocked doorway with shouldered arch was presumably the monks' entrance to the church; reading desk dated 1646 has initials "ID" and the letter "S" backwards, pulpit probably a little later, contemporary re-used panelling fixed to walls; Romanesque-style font on clustered shaft mid-C19 but square-shaped basin in north porch may be C13; another font (now in south chapel) is probably late C13/early C14 - octagonal, the diagonal sides being shorter and ending in small broaches; stained glass in east and west windows c.1870 and c.1900 respectively with pre-Raphaelite style glass to north-east and north- west windows of chancel. The yew tree in the churchyard is said to be one of the oldest in England. Founded as a cell of the Cluniac Abbey at Much Wenlock c.1150, the eastern part of the church was monastic and the western part parochial; the house was dissolved in 1534. B.o.E., Pp.99-100; V.C.H.VIII (1968), p.128; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), Pp.470-3.

Listing NGR: SO5433198148

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 470-3
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1968), 128
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SO 54331 98148

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 01:41:10.