List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1366851

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityHughley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Jun-1958

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 258843

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUGHLEY C.P. HUGHLEY SO 59 NE 8/60 Church of St John the Baptist 13.6.58 I

Parochial chapel, now parish church. C13 and c.1360 with early C18 belfry; restored 1871-2 by Richard Norman Shaw. Roughly coursed limestone and conglomerate rubble, sandstone ashlar dressings; timber framed belfry with red brick infill, machine tile roof with ornamental cresting and coped verges. Nave and chancel in one with west belfry; south porch. Nave: fabric of north wall C13, lancet to each side of pointed double-chamfered doorway with hoodmould; south doorway in similar style under late C17 gabled wooden porch (restored c.1871) with stone slate roof; windows in south wall (c.1360) have 2 cusped lights with quatrefoils above, one to west and 2 to east of porch; west window of 3 cusped lights with mouchettes above, restored by Shaw; timber framed belfry (1701) has close-set vertical posts with long straight tension braces; louvres and early C19 octagonal clock on south side. Chancel: in one bay has north and south windows identical to those in south wall of nave; east window of 3 lights with curvilinear tracery and cusped quatrefoil to apex; remains of stone cross to east gable. Interior: mid-C14 trussed rafter roof with carved bosses extending full length of church restored and boarded up by Shaw; late C17 carved wooden pulpit and late C19 octagonal stone font; in chancel are a pillar piscina (probably C15) and on the east wall a statue pedestal resting on the carved stone head of a woman which retains faint traces of paint;, also a stone altar slab fixed to wall on left of altar; late C14 stained glass in north and east windows - fragments of architectural canopies and figures, south window with stained glass of c.1915; chancel screen probably early C15, eight broad one-light divisions, 2 to centre with depressed arch beneath and 3 to either side, richly carved throughout with upper part of dado delicately pierced with a variety of late Decorated and Perpendicular tracery patterns, this is surmounted by a band of unpierced quatrefoils with a row of pierced quatrefoils and brattishing above; tracery to top of divisions also in a variety of forms, lierne-vaulted coving with large bosses and to the top a cornice and cresting with interweaving foliage and figural decoration; behind the screen, set in the floor, is a stone altar slab and a good set of late C14 glazed tiles; oak parish chest (possibly medieval) at west end of nave. No monuments of note. The church was originally a dependent chapelry of Much Wenlock and did not become a separate parish until the latter half of C14. The screen is said to be the finest in the county. B,o.E., Pp. 154-5; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 3 (1897), Pp. 197-9.

Listing NGR: SO5648497932

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 197-9
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SO 56481 97935

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:59:08.