List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1366827

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityHodnet

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260196

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HODNET C.P. CHURCH STREET (North side) SJ 6028-6128 13/45 Church of Saint Luke 10.2.59

GV I

Parish church. C12 south aisle. Remodelled and south aisle chapel, nave, chancel and tower added in C14. Heavily restored and vestry added in 1846, north chapel added in 1870, possibly by Anthony Salvin, and church further restored in 1883. Red and yellow sandstone ashlar with some dressed stone. Plain tile roof, separately over nave and aisle. 5-bay nave and aisle, 2-bay chancel and south chapel, south porch and vestry, chapel to north of chancel and octagonal tower at west end of nave. Restored in a Decorated Gothic style. Tower: 3 stages. Octagonal plan. Chamfered plinth, corner buttresses up to belfry with chamfered offsets, string course to belfry, parapet string with carved gargoyles, battlemented parapet with moulded coping, and weathervane. Belfry openings in alternate faces of 2 louvred trefoiled ogee-headed lights with quatrefoil in tracery and chamfered reveals. Lower stages with rectangular lights to west, north-west and south-west, those to first stage with moulded reveals and those to second stage with chamfered reveals. Low boarded doorway to west. Octagonal wooden clocks on belfry to north- east and south-east. Yellow sandstone memorial tablet fixed to north-east face of tower, inscribed: "HERE LYETH THE BODY OF / SUSANNA WIFE OF / THOMAS GARDNAR OF / SANSAW IN THIS COUNTY GENTLEMAN AND / ELDER DAUGHTER OF / ROBERT ARNEWAY / GENTLEMAN AND / ANN HIS WIFE OF / WESTON IN THIS PARISH / SHE DECEASED THE 30th / DAY OF OCTOBER IN 1661". South aisle and south chapel: chamfered and moulded plinth, buttresses with chamfered offsets (diagonal at corners), chamfered eaves, and coped parapeted gable ends with moulded kneelers, finial at apex to east and cross at apex to west. 5 + 3 bays. Aisle windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery; chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds. West window of 4 trefoil- headed lights with flowing Y-tracery, moulded reveals, chamfered cill and returned hoodmould. C19 continuously-chamfered arched south doorway in second bay from left with nail-studded door dated "GB WW 1705" (in nails) and remains of former round-arched C18 doorway above with flush keystone. Porch with double chamfered plinth, flanking flush buttresses and parapeted gable with moulded coping, gabled kneelers and fleur-de-lys finial at apex. Moulded arch of 2 arches, the inner has nook shafts with moulded bases and capitals and the outer is continuous. Hoodmould with carved heads as stops. Pair of boarded doors. Small trefoil- headed side windows with hollow chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds. Side benches inside. Inscribed sundial dated 1673 on wall between fifth and sixth bays. South chapel windows of 3 stepped trefoil-headed lights with chamfered reveals and hoodmould. East window of 5 trefoil-headed lights with flowing Y-tracery, moulded reveals and returned hoodmould. Central vestry to south with chamfered plinth, and parapeted gable with moulded coping and kneelers, and integral stone stack at apex, consisting of stubby octagonal shaft with moulded cap (possibly truncated). Pair of windows to front, each of 2 trefoil-headed lights with hollow-chamfered reveals and returned hoodmoulds. Boarded doorway in left-hand return front with continuously-chamfered arch. Right-hand return front with pair of memorial tablets set in wall; one in memory of Samuel Herrick Macaulay who died at Hodnet Rectory on October 10th 1895, and one in memory of Henry William Macaulay, son of the Rev. S.H. Macaulay, who died at Muang Phray in Siam on May 1st, 1893 Nave and chancel: chamfered plinth, buttresses with chamfered offsets, diagonal to east, and parapeted gable end to east with moulded kneelers and finial at apex. 4 windows to nave, 3 to right of 2 trefoil-headed lights with cusped chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds. Left-hand window of 3 stepped trefoil-headed lights with chamfered reveals and hoodmould. East window of 5 trefoil-headed lights with intersecting tracery and chamfered reveals. North (Heber) chapel: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with chamfered offsets, and coped parapeted gables with gabled kneelers. Pair of cinquefoil-headed lancets to north with hollow-chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds with carved stops. East window of 4 cinquefoil-headed lights with flowing tracery, hollow- chamfered reveals and hoodmould with carved stops. Interior: C14 and C19 five-bay nave arcade consisting of alternating circular and octagonal piers with chamfered bases and capitals, and recessed chamfered arches. Tall tower arch of 6 orders with continuous sunk chamfers and wave mouldings. Reused probably C17 panelling in tympanum above C19 doors. Pair of chamfered-arched vestry doorways. Arched doorway between chancel and south aisle chapel. Chamfered rear arches, south aisle windows with remains of former C12 and C18 round arches in wall above. Segmental-arched piscina or aumbry in south-west wall of south aisle. C19 nave and aisle roofs with arched-braced collars springing from stone corbels and chancel and south aisle chapel roofs with hammer and tie-beams. Pairs of moulded purlins, sub-divided into square panels and carved heraldic bosses. North (Heber) chapel with double chamfered arch, the outer chamfer continuous and the inner springing from circular half-piers with moulded bases and capitals; hoodmould with carved stops. Chapel with moulded cill string, moulded cornice, chamfered rear arches, and trussed-rafter roof; east window has nook shafts with moulded bases and capitals. Fittings: chancel has reused C17 dado panelling with carved lozenges and arches etc. Altar with raised and fielded panelling. Commandment boards flanking eastwindow with Ionic pilasters and round arches with carved spandrels. Brass communion rails. Probably C18 hexagonal wooden pulpit with bolection-moulded panels, moulded cornice and C19 chamfered stone base. Brass eagle lectern. Plain choir stalls. C17 or C17-style communion table with bulbous legs in south aisle chapel. Organ in south aisle chapel. Plain pews incorporating some old material; frontals with traceried panels and poppyheads. C17 stone font with circular step, circular stem and octagonal lead-lined bowl with carved panels, depicting a cock, eagle, lion etc. and continuous carved band below. Pair of Cl7 parish chests, one with lozenge panels and one plain with 3 locks and moulded top. Poor box adjacent to south door, with 3 locks and inscribed "REMEMBER THE POORE". Encaustic tiles to chancel, south chapel and Heber chapel. Small chained library. Stained glass: east window of 1846, in memory of Mary Heber, d. Dec. 22, 1846. South aisle chapel east window by David Evans, depicting Mark, Luke and John. South-east window of south aisle chapel dated 1852. Glass in Heber chapel dated 1901, 1902 and 1911. Monuments: Hugh Pigot of Peplow, d.1697 (aisle, s. wall). Cartouche with scrolled surround and shield and crest above. Richard Hill of Hawkstone, d. 1726 (aisle, w. wall). Large obelisk resting on globes with flanking wreathed urns on base and cartouche with arms at top. Henrietta Vernon, d. 1752 (nave, n. wall). Wreathed urn on a pedestal against an obelisk, flanking urns, cartouche with shield and base with 3 winged angels. Attributed to Sir Henry Cheere. Sir Rowland Hill (1705-83), erected by his son Sir Richard Hill (nave, n. wall). Large swagged urn against an obelisk and cartouche on pedestal. Sir Richard Hill of Hawkstone, d. 1808 (aisle, s. wall). Urn and sarcophagus against the background of an obelisk. Signed by John Carline. John Hill, d. 1814 (nave, n. wall). Mourning mother and child in front of sarcophogus, obelisk with shield above. By John Carline. Bishop Heber, d. 1826 (in Heber chapel). Portrait head in profile against draped background. By Chantrey. Inscription by Robert Southey. Richard Heber, d. 1833 (Chancel). Elaborate Gothic monument with central crocketed ogee arch and traceried side panels. Blanche Emily Heber, d. 1870 (Heber chapel). Chest tomb consisting of gadrooned sarcophogus with fluted square corner piers and recumbent effigy. By Reginald Cholmondeley of Condover. Pair of old photographs of the interior of the church before 1883 showing the aisle with box pews and a central pulpit against the south wall. Reginald Heber was Bishop of Calcutta from 1823 until his death in 1826, and the writer of many hymns including "From Greenland's Icy Mountains" and others. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, pp. 691-96; B.O.E., pp. 150-2; Church guide.

Listing NGR: SJ6124428600

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Hill, A G - Title: Architectural Notes of Churches of Cambridgeshire - Date: 1880 - Volume: 8 - Page References: 691-96
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: SJ 61241 28600

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 03:31:22.