List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1366758

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityWem Urban

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259939

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5358 HIGH STREET (south side)

Church of St Peter and St Paul SJ 5128 3/33 28.8.51

II* GV

2. Circa C14 base of west tower with perpendicular upper stages. Nave built in 1809-13 and chancel of 1886. Ashlar built. Large west tower with diagonal buttresses with set offs, 2-light perpendicular bell openings, battlements and crocketed pinnacles. West window blocked and smaller window inserted. Unusual circa early C14 west doorway with 4 arches of continuous mouldings with dog-leg bends at the base. Statues in niches on west and east walls of the tower. Wide nave of 1809-13 with slate hipped roof and gothic carbelled eaves. Four nave and south Decorated style windows of 1840. Chancel of 1886 with canted angles and early English east window under a gable. Vestry in angle of tower and nave with gothic ogee arched doorway and cast-iron windows. Interior: nave is galleried on 3 sides on iron columns. Vaulted chancel. Wrought iron and brass pulpit and comnunion rail dated 1887. The churchyard contains, south of church, many C18 and early C19 headstones and early/mid C19 tomb chests.

Listing NGR: SJ5123528864

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 51235 28864

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2014 at 03:23:19.