List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MICKLEWOOD FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1366692

Location

MICKLEWOOD FARMHOUSE, 1 AND 2

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityLongnor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Apr-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259603

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 40 SE LONGOR C.P. -

2/62 Nos. 1 and 2, 29.1.52 Micklewood Farmhouse (formerly listed as Micklewood in Leebotwood C.P)

- II*

Farmhouse, now divided. Circa 1680, for Waties Corbett, with early C18 and mid- to late C19 alterations and additions. Red brick with grey sandstone ashlar dressings; hipped plain tile roof. Shallow U-plan. 2 storeys and attic, over basement to right. Plinth to right with chamfered top, 2 dentil brick string courses at lintel level, wooden dentil eaves cornice and 4 mid- to late C19 gabled brick eaves dormers with 6-pane sashes. Flanking external lateral brick stacks with chamfered offsets and pitched-roofed links to attic. Larger left-hand stack with T-shaped shaft. 1:2:1 window front; C18 sixteen-parted glazing bar sashes with stone lintels, rendered blind windows in inner returns of wings; central door with 6 raised and fielded panels (mid-C20 copy), rounded stone reveals with foliage-carved impost blocks and keystone, and large segmental brick pediment above with moulded dentils. Straight joint just to left of door (lighter brick to left). Right-hand return front: 2 windows; ground-floor right-hand window altered (see straight joint); chamfered stone mullioned basement window to left. Left-hand return front with blocked first-floor window to right. Central late C18 two- storey and attic gabled wing at rear with 16-pane glazing bar sash and dentil brick eaves cornice, and pair of lower flanking gabled wings, that to left with external brick end stack. Interior: complete late C17 and early C18 fixtures and fittings. Entrance hall: moulded dado rail; 4-part cross-beam ceiling with moulded cornice; elaborate fireplace (stack truncated below ridge) incorporating large segmental arch with lugged architrave, splayed reveals with C19 decorative glazed tiles and C19 grate, moulded dentil cornice, breaking forward in centre, and painted plaster overmantel consisting of pilasters with scrolled capitals, central cornucopia, flanking scrolls, and cornice with central triangular pediment; pair of C18 wall cupboards to right of fireplace with raised and fielded panels. Late C17 staircase rising from hall (not in original position) with closed string barleysugar balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel post. Circa 1720 staircase rising to attic at left of stack; dog-leg with open string, pierced cut brackets, 3 turning balusters per tread, moulded handrail, and turned newels (paired on half-landings). Right-hand ground-floor front room: C17 moulded wainscot panelling; C17 cross-beamed ceiling consisting of 4 square compartments with moulded cornices and moulded circular panels within; C18 fireplace consisting of lugged architrave with egg and dart enrichment, pulvinated frieze with carved panel, moulded cornice and mid-C18 oil painting of rural scene in lugged panel above; C18 corner cupboard to left of fireplace with shaped shelves and segmental arch with imposts and key. Right- hand ground-floor rear room: modern fireplace with flanking C18 cupboards; C18 corner cupboard with shaped shelves. Left-hand ground-floor front room: large blocked fireplace (former kitchen). Bedrooms: 3 rooms have C18 fireplaces with lugged architraves and moulded cornices (C18 fireplace formerly in left-hand front bedroom now removed and stored in attic at time of survey - October, 1985). Fireplace in front roan to right-has splays with Delft-type glazed tiles; centre bedroom has probably C19 false chest of drawers (to allow headroom for altered C17 staircase). C17 and C18 coved and moulded.plaster cornices in many rooms. C18 doors throughout; some boarded, with L-hinges but most with 6 raised and fielded panels. This building stands on the site of an earlier house and the layout of the central block with asymmetrical hall and large stack suggests that some part of the earlier plan may have survived. Formerly listed under Leebotwood C.P. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.100.

Listing NGR: SO5021098481

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Elmington, C R , The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1989), 100

National Grid Reference: SO 50210 98481

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 10:45:38.