List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BROOKGATE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1366680

Location

BROOKGATE FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityPontesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Jul-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259528

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 40 NW PONTESBURY C.P. PLEALEY

4/224 Brookgate Farmhouse -

2.7.71

- II*

Farmhouse, now derelict. C14 or C15, extended and re-modelled c.1600 with later additions and alterations. Timber framed, partially of cruck construc- tion now largely encased in red brick, plain tile roofs. Originally a 2-bay open hall with a service bay at lower (west) end, floored over c.1600 and with an axial ridge stack inserted at lower end of hall; simultaneously or possibly a little later a 4-bay cross-wing Was added to left and a 2-bay kitchen range to rear on right, forming the present U-plan. 2 storeys and attics; framing: largely obscured by brick casing and plaster, but rear gables are close-studded with V-struts from upper collar to left; projecting left-hand gable to front, which is crow-stepped, has one range of mid-C19 casements with segmental arches; flush right-hand gable also has mid-C19 casements to ground and first floors off-set to left; mid-C19 four-panel door with console bracketed hood in line with axial red brick ridge stack to left and plain 4-panel door to right gable without hood. Interior: timber frame (close studding and square panelling) substantially intact throughout; massive chamfered spine beams to hall range on ground floor with heavy joists and ogee chamfer stops; the front room of the left-hand cross-wing has a cross-beamed ceiling also with ogee chamfered stops and later moulded plaster infill; large stack with infilled inglenook fireplace; cellar beneath rear room of cross-wing; smoke-blackened roof structure visible upstairs and in attic; 3 true cruck trusses with upper and lower collars and Alcock apex type E, the westernmost arch-braced with a cusped spere truss from the collar; the cross-wing has a chamfered double-purlin roof with tie and collar beams and straight windbraces; there is a well in the kitchen and a mid-C19 dairy to rear. A cast-iron fireback dated 1638 with the initials "R.P.E.", for Richard and Elinor Peers, formerly in the house has now been removed. The house is graded II* on account of the completeness of the medieval and later timber frame. V.C.H. VIII (1968), p.255; Alcock (1981), p.144.

Listing NGR: SJ4250906913

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1968), 255
Alcock, N W, 'Council for British Archaeology Research Report' in Cruck Construction An Introduction And Catalogue, (1981), 144

National Grid Reference: SJ 42509 06913

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 04:09:50.