List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1366502

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityIghtfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260563

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

IGHTFIELD C.P. CHURCH STREET, Ightfield SJ 53 NE 5/12 Church of Saint John - the Baptist - II*

Parish Church. Late C15, restored and chancel and east wall of nave rebuilt in 1865. Dressed red and grey sandstone with ashlar dressings; chancel and south porch in grey sandstone ashlar. Plain tile roofs. 3-bay nave and north aisle, 2-bay chancel, south porch and west tower. Chancel in a Perpendicular style. Tower: 3 stages externally. Moulded plinth, chamfered string courses, diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets, parapet string with carved square Tudor-flower ornament, carved gargoyles at corners (that at the north-east corner squared to the east) and carved quatrefoil frieze below, and battlemented parapet with moulded coping and crocketed corner pinnacles with trefoil-panelled dies. Project- ing half-octagonal stair turret to north-east with chamfered-arched boarded door to west at base, small rectangular windows, first string course with carved head, and pyramidal stone cap with finial. Belfry openings of 3 trefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, chamfered reveals,and hoodmoulds (except to south and east) with carved stops (north belfry opening offset to west). Quatrefoil sounding hole in middle stage to north set in chamfered square recess with hoodmould. West window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, moulded reveals, and returned hoodmould. West doorway with moulded arch, hoodmould with carved stops and C19 boarded door with strap hinges. Clock in second stage to south. Nave: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with chamfered offsets, chamfered parapet string, battlemented parapet with moulded coping, crocketed pinnacles with trefoil-headed dies,and parapeted gable end with chamfered coping and cross at apex. Central south window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, double hollow-chamfered reveals and hoodmould with carved stops; right-hand window of 3 cinque- foil-headed lights, unusual panelled tracery including 3 octafoils, the centre elongated, moulded reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops, that to left depicting a lion and that to right probably a boar. South doorway to left with deeply-moulded four-centred arch, carved spandrels, returned square hoodmould and C19 boarded door with decorative strap hinges. C15 porch with moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets, moulded parapet string, and battlemented parapet with panelled crocketed finials. Deeply-moulded entrance arch has hoodmould with carved stops, trefoil-panelled spandrels and quatrefoil frieze above under a square hoodmould. Interior of porch with side benches. 3 narrow vents in apex of nave east gable end. North aisle: chamfered plinth,buttresses with chamfered offsets and parapeted gable ends with stone copings and crosses at apices. North windows of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmoulds with carved heads as stops. Moulded ogee-arched doorway in right-hand bay with C19 boarded door. East window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmould with carved heads as stops (straight joint to left). C19 west window of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped Y-tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmoulds with carved heads as stops. Chancel: chamfered plinth, buttresses (diagonal to east with moulded plinths) with chamfered offsets, chamfered parapet string, and battlemented parapet with trefoil-panelled crocketed pinnacles, and parapeted gable end with stone coping and cross at apex. East window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould with carved heads as stops. Right-hand south window of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped Y-tracery, moulded reveals and returned hoodmould. Moulded ogee-arched priest's doorway to left with boarded door. North windows of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with cusped Y-tracery, moulded reveals and returned hoodmould. Interior: 3-bay aisle arcade consisting of octagonal piers with moulded capitals and chamfered bases,and double- chamfered arches. Tall C15 double chamfered tower arch, the inner chamfer with moulded imposts and bases and continuous outer chamfer with broach stops. C19 chancel arch of 2 orders, the outer with a continuous hollow chamfer and the inner moulded, springing from moulded stone corbels. Chamfered rear arches throughout; the south-east nave window with moulded reveals, hollow-chamfered and moulded reveals to aisle window, and south- east nave window with moulded reveals. North aisle doorway with four- centred rear arch and ogee-arched chancel south doorway with moulded reveals. East window with returned hoodmould, sedile beneath south chancel window and moulded cinquefoil-headed arched aumbry to north. Small blocked rectangular openings above chancel and tower arches. C19 four-bay nave roof with chamfered stone wall plate, moulded ogee- arched braces springing from carved stone corbels, low brattished collar, arched braces above with pierced spandrels, and pairs of purlins with cusped wind braces C19 three-bay chancel roof with chamfered stone wall plate and brattished wooden plate, trusses with cusped arched braces springing from moulded stone corbels, ridge piece with longitudinal cusped braces, and purlins with cusped wind braces. Fittings: main1y c.1865 and later. Painted wooden reredos of 3 bays with central arched panel, flanking cinquefoil-headed panels, and brattished top. Flanking panelling, with cinquefoil heads to top tier. Carved wooden altar table. Altar rails with wrought-iron supports supporting wooden rail. Choir stalls. Polygonal stone pulpit with stem, moulded base, traceried panels, and brattished and moulded top; 4 steps up. Pews with traceried ends. Octagonal stone font with chamfered step, stem with moulded base, bowl with alternating carved grid and quatrefoil panels, and wooden cover. Wrought-iron light fittings. Oak parish chest of c.1500. C19 encaustic tiles to chancel. Some C19 stained glass. Monuments: brass (late C15) to Dame Margery Calverley, widow of Philip Egerton, depicting a figure and a triple canopy with a figure of St. John the Baptist above; brass to William Maynwaryng (head replaced in 1895). Drawing dated 1961 of former C14 north aisle roof with moulded ribs and carved bosses,now replaced. The Domesday Book records the presence of a priest at Ightfield. The 1865 restoration cost £3,000. B.o.E., p. 155, D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, pp. 697-99; Kqlly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1909), pp. 108-9. 1

Listing NGR: SJ5924438672

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 697-99
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 155
'Kellys Directory' in Herefordshire and Shropshire, (1909), 108-9

National Grid Reference: SJ 59244 38672

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 02:53:27.