List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1366483

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, LEE BROCKHURST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityMoreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Sep-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260464

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEE BROCKHURST C.P. LEE BROCKHURST SJ 52 NW 11/9 Church of St. Peter - GV II* Parish church. Mid-C12, restored and extended 1884. Roughly coursed sandstone rubble, more evenly dressed and coursed to C19 additions; machine tile roofs with coped verges on kneelers. Nave with west bellcote, chancel, south porch, north vestry and brick store shed. Nave: one diminutive round-headed C12 window on north and south sides with early C15 square-headed west window of 3 cusped lights; square-headed window to east of C12 window on south probably late C16 or C17 with mullion removed. C12 south doorway has one order of shafts with scalloped capitals and chevron ornament to both extrados and intrados of arch; impost to-right side of arch with cable moulding. Massive nail-studded plank door with fleur-de-lys pointed strap hinges is probably late medieval or C17. Gabled west bellcote with twin round-headed bell openings and timber porch on low sandstone walls both 1884. Short one-bay chancel of 1884 has single trefoil-headed windows with hoodmoulds on north and south and one of 3 lights to east. Gabled vestry at junction with nave and chancel also 1884 and lean-to brick shed adjoining to west is roughly contemporary. Interior: very plain with late C19 trussed rafter roofs to nave and chancel. Deep single-splays of C12 windows visible. Some C18 panelling (probably from former box-pews) reused as wainscoting in nave but remainder of fittings and furnishings are late C19 or later. Monument: wall memorial to John Henshaw of Wem, attorney (died 1801) - nave, north side. B.O.E., p.165; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 8 (1906), p.700.

Listing NGR: SJ5461327173

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 700
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SJ 54613 27173

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 11:20:49.