List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLOVERLEY HALL AND STABLE YARDS

List entry Number: 1366479

Location

CLOVERLEY HALL AND STABLE YARDS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityIghtfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260558

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

IGHTFIELD C.P. CALVERHALL SJ 63 NW 6/7 Cloverley Hall and 20.8.71 stable yards GV II*

Country house, now conference centre. 1864-70, by William Eden Nesfield for John Pemberton Heywood. Partly demolished and rebuilt in 1926-7. Red brick (English bond) with some blue-brick diapering and yellow/grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Some slate hanging and decorative plasterwork. Graded slate roofs. L-plan. Service range of now demolished house and L-plan stable block attached to south-west. In a neo-Gothic style. 2 storeys and one storey and attic over basement. Chamfered plinths, moulded string courses, lead-lined gutters with ornamental disc motifs or 'pies'. Parapets with chamfered copings, including gables with carved gabled kneelers and globe finials. Numerous tall brick stacks with project- ing strips and oversailing tops, some consisting of grouped circular shafts. Ovolo-moulded and chamfered mullioned and transomed stone windows with leaded lights. Moulded lead downpipes with ornamental castellated rainwater heads, dated "1867 J P H" (John Pemberton Heywood) and "1927 H L" (probably Heywood Lonsdale). North-west (entrance) front: 3 bays; 3-and 4-light moulded mullioned and transomed windows with dripstones. Inserted central Tudor-arched doorway with pair of 3-panelled oak doors, moulded reveals and tympanum inscribed "1868-1926". Flanking cross windows. Moulded recessed panel above with carved coat of arms. Straight joint-to right of door between former service range to left and rebuilt fragment of house to right. Right-hand return (south-west) front: 1927. Two gables. 3 bays; mullioned and transomed stone windows. Central carved wooden door with carved bird above and 2-part overlight. South-east (garden) front: block forming 1927 house to left. Gabled wing off-centre to right. 2:1:1 mullioned and transomed stone windows; basement windows with decorative wrought-iron grilles. Tudor-arched basement door to left with chamfered reveals, carved spandrels and surround, and stone panel above with carved cornucopia and the motto: "GATHER YE ROSEBUDS WHILE YE MAY". Former scullery to centre with double-hipped roof, large ridge stack, large 3-light mullioned and transomed stone window to right, trefoil-headed window to left and 3 basement windows consisting of paired Gothic lights. Left-hand return with gabled semi dormer and first-floor squinch with triple-chamfered arch. Low one-storey range to its right with chamfered-mullioned strip window lighting corridor. Curious combined dovecote, game larder and gun room to far right, with projecting apsidal end. 3-light mullioned and transomed stone window to former ground-floor gun room and tall trefoil-headed windows lighting former first-floor game larder, narrow vertical vents beloweaves, and tall gabled glover set at angle to left supported on stone brackets at eaves level and with louvres, rose-motifs to lead-sheathed sides and bracketed gable. Ridge crestings and finials. Parapeted gable end to rear and external brick stack corbelled from attic with 2 circular shafts. Kitchen Court: south-east range with pantry etc. has 3 louvred raking dormers and louvred hipped dormer to right. 2 gabled ranges to south-west, former kitchen to left with pair of tall 2-light mullioned and transomed windows and former servants' hall set back to right with ground-floor 5-light window. North-west range consisting of 2-storey former wash house to right with pair of half-hipped gables and 3-and 4-light mullioned and transomed wooden windows. Lean-to roof over covered way to left and 2 hipped dormers above with 4-light wooden casements. Rear of wash-house range onto stable court to north-west; central coach house consisting of 5 pairs of boarded doors with decorative wrought-iron strap hinges and divided by cast-iron posts. Hipped dormer to left and former horses washing place to right with ground-floor boarded door and decoratively-inscribed plaster coving to slate-hung gable above with 4-light casement. Stable range: L-plan. South-west (entrance) front: central clock tower/ gatehouse. 4 stages. Double-chamfered plinth, string courses, moulded stone eaves cornice and tall hipped roof with ridge cresting and finials. Integral brick lateral stack to right with pitched-roof link to attic. Central tall gabled wooden belfry with 4 copper bells divided by turned balusters, cusped barge boards and finial with remains of glass globe. Stair turret projecting at left with one-and 2-light windows and stone frieze with carved discs at foot of gable with finial. Top stage of tower with clock in square panel surrounded by small carved square panels depicting the signs of the zodiac, returning to the side of the stair tower, and with superscribed motto above and below: "LO THOUGH WE SLEEP OR WAKE OR ROAM OR RIDE / AYE FLEETH THE TIME IT WILL NO MAN ABIDE". Small trefoil-headed window to right and small boarded access hatch below with decorative wrought-iron strap hinges, stone cross window to third stage and 5-light mullioned stone window to second stage. Moulded carriage archway with hoodmould. Interior of archway with beams resting on stone corbels. Pair of roll-moulded arched doors inside to left, with continuous hoodmould, central stop consisting of a carved horse's head within a horseshoe, and boarded doors with strap hinges; double-chamfered arched doorway to harness room to right with boarded door and carved flower in stone panel above. Flanking ranges of one storey and attic. That to right has large gabled semi dormer with pair of stone cross windows and 2 ground-floor 3-light mullioned and transomed stone windows to former harness room. Part of former service range in angle to right with gable to front and gabled semi dormer to return. Part of stable range set back to left of tower has central gabled semi dormer with pair of stone cross windows and flanking loft vents beneath eaves with wooden louvres. Stable Court: rear of clock tower with gabled louvred dormer, clock with flanking chamfered lights, cross window to third stage with carved panel to right, 5-light mullioned window to second stage and moulded archway with impost band. North-west range: brick ridge stack off- centre to right. Large loft dormer off-centre to left with external steps up to half-glazed door, small casement to right, and timber framed gable with 3-light wooden casement, ornamentally-incised plaster infill, and finial. 3 ground-floor 2-light mullioned stone windows. Half- glazed door to right with moulded reveals,and boarded door to left with wrought-iron strap hinges,moulded reveals and 2-square stone panels above with carved stylized foliage, and dripstone. Attached mounting block off-centre to left. Rear with 3 gabled semi dormers alternating with louvred wooden vents beneath eaves; right-hand gable with small stair turret to left. Former brewhouse adjoining stable range to north-east. Chamfered plinth, moulded cornice and ashlar parapet with chamfered coping, and hipped roof with cresting and finials, and louvred raking dormer to south-east. North-west and north-east fronts have pairs of deeply recessed double-chamfered Gothic arches with moulded impost bands, openings with chamfered cills and wooden louvres with shaped ends, and boarded- up (October 1986) openings beneath. South-east front with pair of tall recessed rectangular panels, 4-light mullioned stone window high up to left, blocked doorway to left and segmental-arched doorway with pair of boarded doors low down to right. Interior: the present house interiors date from 1926-7 but possibly contain reused work from the demolished part. Panelled draught lobby with half-glazed doors. 3-flight oak staircase with landings, closed string, pierced splat balusters, square newels with pierced finials and pendants, and dado rail. Fomer housekeeper's room at rear with oak panelling and sandstone ashlar fireplace with moulded Tudor arch. At least one Nesfield fitting survives, now in the main part of the house; a curved gun cupboard, design to stand against the curved wall of the former gun room. Interior of coach house with cast-iron I-beams. John Pemberton Heywood, a Liverpool banker, bought the estate from the Dod family c.1864. The house was commissioned in 1864 and building began in the following year. Nesfield's stone mason at Cloverley was James Forsyth who was responsible for the carved ornament. The main period of construction was 1865-68. Despite the demolition of the house the surviving service ranges at Cloverly are still an important and well detailed example of the early domestic work of William Eden Nesfield. He was also responsible for the house's forecourt walls (q.v.), two lodges (q.v.), Holy Trinity Church at Calverhall (q.v.) and other nearby buildings. Cloverley Hall stands within landscaped parkland with an ornamental lake to the south-east. B.o.E., p.107; Henry-Russell Hitchcock in The Country Seat, ed. Colvin and Harris (London, 1970), pp. 252-261; Jill Franklin, The Gentleman's Country House and its Plan. 1835-1914 (London, 1981), pp. 211-214; Mark Girouard, The Victorian Country House(London, 1979), pp.72 and 402; Clive Aslet in Country Life, Vol. CLXIII (1978), pp. 679 (ills.) and 681.

Listing NGR: SJ6152837081

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Franklin, J, The Gentlemans Country House and its Plan 1835-1914, (1981), 211-214
Girouard, M, The Victorian Country House, (1971), 72 and 402
Hitchcock, H R, The Country Seat, (1970), 252-261
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 107
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 163, (1978), 679 681

National Grid Reference: SJ 61528 37081

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 12:52:51.